Vintage Story on Steam Deck

mard

12 minutes ago, Denigirl said:

So funnily enough, yes everything was updated and the newest version. I just decided to reinstall the game, and then i had resolution issues so i had to change the config file and put the resolution in. added the parameter you mentioned, and yeah now it works flawlessly!

Thanks for prompting me to update/reinstall, im looking forward to playing :))

awesome!

Sadly doesn't work for me. Tried to uninstall, delete everything,  restarted the steam deck. Installed game, added it to steam, added all parameters (including the env=mesa_glthread=false at the end)  and the buttons indeed work but the game freezes anyways at random..

Thank you very much for all your input.

I'm facing the classic case of "works on my machine". Everything seems to be in order either with mesa_glthread flag enabled or disabled, I also never used Beta branch of SteamOS etc.

I'll need a fresh Steam OS installation on my Steam Deck to troubleshoot. Maybe if I'll have some more time later down this week, I'll backup my Steam Deck data and try to follow the guide step by step to see what can be done to fix the issue.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Antiquitas said:

Vintage Story wasn't working with all the work arounds

I'm very sorry to hear this. As of SteamOS 3.4.8 and VS 1.18.6 I can't personally replicate the issue. The VS flatpak loads and runs all fine for me, in singleplayer, multiplayer, modded and vanilla, with both mesa_glthread set to true or false, with default sandbox permissions for the Flatpak. Also, shader precaching is enabled in Steam.

I use the following launch options:

run --env=mesa_glthread=false --env=LC_ALL= --env=LD_PRELOAD= --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=vintagestory at.vintagestory.VintageStory

Apart from that, I don't see how my environment could radically differ from others. My OS is not radically altered in any way, but I indeed have tons of other flatpaks installed (Heroic Launcher, GZDoom, etc.) but it is not clear to me how they could cause any interference. I also have old freedesktop 21 flatpak dependencies deleted.

I promised some time ago to wipe my deck clean and investigate the subject to the best of my ability. Unfortunately life got in the way and I wasn't able to find enough time and peace to back up my device. Maybe soon...

This thread have been quiet for a while. If you find any clues or solutions, please let me know.

Edited by mard

I deleted my reply because I got it to work. On hindsight I should have probably left it up and then explained why I got it working.

Here's what I did to get it to work.

I followed the tutorial. The part where it said to fix the graphics. You know, fullscreen, VSync on...all of that. Turns out the role of Village Idiot will be played by Antiquitas.

It was such a basic thing and I can't believe I missed the most basics of basics. I am the dumb. That was literally it. Adjust graphics to match what you had on screen. Done. Works perfectly now.

Works so well I have a bajillion mods added and it still works. Works wonderfully too. Seriously...VSync on...lower shadows...Fullscreen. How am I this dumb?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Antiquitas said:

Adjust graphics to match what you had on screen. Done. Works perfectly now.

I'm super glad you were to figure it all out! It's very helpful so I added a necessary disclaimer in the original post so others won't miss it.

11 hours ago, Antiquitas said:

Works so well I have a bajillion mods added and it still works. Works wonderfully too.

Yes, the VS flatpak should handle all the mods now, it's shipped with complete Mono runtime which wasn't the case a few months before and many mods crashed the game.

Just as a reminder - if you run the game through with Steam, consider adding the --env=LD_PRELOAD= parameter. It will invalidate the additional binary injected by Steam that is recognized by Vintage Story as a mod and in some situations it could interfere with the mod loading process, especially when joining multiplayer games.

3 minutes ago, mard said:

Just as a reminder - if you run the game through with Steam, consider adding the --env=LD_PRELOAD= parameter. It will invalidate the additional binary injected by Steam that is recognized by Vintage Story as a mod and in some situations it could interfere with the mod loading process, especially when joining multiplayer games.

Yup. I've already got it added. So knock on all the wood that this keeps chugging along. Thanks again for the help. And I'm just happy to be able to play this at my desk while I should be working and doing my job and totally not slacking off and playing this game.

I've said too much. Don't tell HR.

• Like 1

Vintage Story 1.18.8 Flatpak has been published on Flathub and is available to update through the Discover app. It was a major change for the package, as it now utilizes the new .NET 7 instead of the dated Mono runtime. Dropping .NET Framework in favor of a much newer .NET (Core) brings noticeable performance improvements in some areas.

Vintage Story now loads noticeably faster on Steam Deck and also shuts down properly. However, as is often the case with major upgrades like these, there could be some new problems, like this one. Some of these issues might be specific to the Steam Deck (Steam + Flatpak) setup. If you suspect so, please provide feedback below in this thread.

In case of any problems, first see the original post, which I always try to keep up to date with the new information. Pay special attention to launch options and graphics settings parts, in my experience these are most common points of failure for players trying to run the game on Steam Deck.

Edited by mard

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, mard said:

It's easy. When you're in game, you can press STEAM button, then you go to Controller settings. then the big button just under the Current Layout caption. You should be able to see available controller layout on the list.

You can see how it looks like on this video.

You can bring up the keyboard by pressing STEAM + X buttons at the same time.

I tried to boot up the game, and the keyboard will not show up. I do hear the sound of it appearing when I press STEAM + X, but it’s like it appears behind the game. I tried all the inputs, but they all insert the keys from the Mark 1 layout.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 3:00 AM, TheCrowArtist said:

I tried to boot up the game, and the keyboard will not show up. I do hear the sound of it appearing when I press STEAM + X, but it’s like it appears behind the game. I tried all the inputs, but they all insert the keys from the Mark 1 layout.

I never noticed any problems with the virtual keyboard in the regular Gaming Mode, but in the Desktop Mode it was always very buggy and I always have some kind of problems with it. It's enough for getting things done, but it's hit or miss when it comes to prolonged usage.

As a workaround, you can connect a Bluetooth keyboard, or a regular USB keyboard using an USB-C hub or USB-A to USB-C adapter. Until then, fingers crossed that the virtual keyboard problems get resolved soon.

Edited by mard

40 minutes ago, Meowlory said:

So, when I try and run the commands listed in OP to downgrade the version, I get 404 errors. Has something changed in regards to access...?

That's a good observation. This is because the test artifacts from continous integration (GitHub's flathubbot) have a limited timespan and are deleted after a certain period of time, hence the 404 Not Found error. They are meant to be used to test upcoming versions, not historical ones.

If you want to downgrade to any previous version that was already published on flathub, Just follow the Downgrading section of the guide in the original post. I have further clarified it to avoid any confusion if you have a test version already installed in place. Just make sure that the commit id/hash is correct, otherwise you will encounter 404 errors as well.

• 1 month later...

It's a bit off-topic, but I think it needs to be addressed. Recently, I've noticed that some users who have difficulty with something turn to this thread asking for help, then delete their posts after they find a solution.

Instead of deleting the post, you can simply edit it and explain what you did wrong and how you solved it. It can be helpful for others, as well as for me, because I could use your input to improve the guide.

I've been a Steam and Linux user for around one and a half decades. Some things are obvious to me, but not so much for others. I did my best to convey all the information as clearly as possible, but if you struggle with something, please let me know so I can explain things a bit better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.