"Easy" jungle threat addition...

BigBadBeef

Haven't reached the so-called jungle area myself yet, only watched through other people playing it. I would propose it would be relatively easy to add a COUGAR to a jungle area.

You could just copy the code base for the wolf, modify it to spawn in the appropriate areas and add a new skin with sound effects.

You could also take the code for the bear and slightly modify it to make a TIGER.

If its a bit more difficult that how I pictured it, then you'll have to excuse my presumption, its been 16 years since I finished programming school and I never followed up with it since I changed my vocation to something a bit more profitable almost immediately.

• Like 2

If it's specifically for a jungle area, it should be a jaguar. Cougars don't dwell in the jungle, and while some subspecies of tiger do, none of the great cats are quite as adapted to the environment as the jaguar, who will climb and sleep in trees and such things.

I'll point out though that the "code" part of a new animal is less than 10% of the work involved. The vast majority is modeling, rigging, and animation, plus a host of unforeseeable complications. For example, bears took way longer to make than expected because, even after all the modeling work was already done, it was found that the creature had huge problems randomly getting stuck in vegetation. Properly solving that problem took weeks, if not months. And since there isn't any feline model or rig in the game yet, there is nothing to base a new feline off of, so it would have to be created completely from scratch.

Creatures are perhaps the single most work-intensive kind of content addition that there is.  So, no "easy jungle addition" to be had here, I'm afraid.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 1

Considering the fact that its a low-res voxel game, I would say coding is more like 30% of the work.

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

For example, bears took way longer to make than expected because, even after all the modeling work was already done, it was found that the creature had huge problems randomly getting stuck in vegetation.

Which I proposed re-using the code from the volves and bears which already works.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.