Crafting Terra Preta?

Troy
Go to solution Solved by Hells Razer,

I've been playing a world with a cold global climate. I've been enjoying the challenge and how a lack of certain resources changes the game. Certain items that aren't as useful in a temperate world are now much more useful, like high fertility soil. I normally don't mess with it in a temperate world, I just run around until I find terra preta. There's no terra preta in this cold world, so I've had to make use of high fertility soil for the first time.

I bought some potash from a trader and applied it to some of my tilled high fertility soil. A few seconds later, the high fertility soil turned into tilled terra preta. Is that supposed to happen, or is that a bug? The handbook and wiki are silent on the subject.

Nope, no mods. Vanilla version 1.17.10.

What's especially weird is that although the game calls it Terra Preta, and although it changes to a Terra Preta block, the nutrient values never go above 65%. I waited around for ages and eventually advanced time several months, and they never replenished to 80% like they would with Terra Preta. Now that I've experimented with it more, I'm guessing this is a bug.

2023-02-21_23-15-00.thumb.png.bfcf634770a6ea18682329ca5c88dc0c.png2023-02-21_23-15-15.thumb.png.c554116f7bb1ffba580a51d2dfb45f78.png2023-02-21_23-15-23.thumb.png.623205009079fc655eb205a1ea835bf0.png2023-02-21_23-15-28.thumb.png.e42e74fb21c80b4b9c3ce90c39c2fbc0.png

Edited by Troy
  • Confused 1

On 2/19/2023 at 8:43 PM, Troy said:

I've been playing a world with a cold global climate. I've been enjoying the challenge and how a lack of certain resources changes the game. Certain items that aren't as useful in a temperate world are now much more useful, like high fertility soil. I normally don't mess with it in a temperate world, I just run around until I find terra preta. There's no terra preta in this cold world, so I've had to make use of high fertility soil for the first time.

I bought some potash from a trader and applied it to some of my tilled high fertility soil. A few seconds later, the high fertility soil turned into tilled terra preta. Is that supposed to happen, or is that a bug? The handbook and wiki are silent on the subject.

It's a minor display issue from using potash on soil.

Potash is a permanent fertilizer, and when you use it on tilled soil, the block's name will change and appear as though its tier has upgraded (Low to medium, high to terra preta, etc). However, the soil functions as you'd expect from adding a permanent +15K nutrients; the other values remain unchanged despite the name change giving the opposite impression. The process is also not repeatable; you can add potash to medium soil to "get" high, but you cannot add potash a second time to upgrade the high to terra preta.

Edited by Ashery

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.