Less blacksmithing tediousness?

Lord Kane

Alright, I love this game, but this is just crazy. Why can't we use the bits that fall out of the grid?

It's not like the metal becomes unusable or anything like that, and If it's soft enough to be formed, then is definitely should be able to be moved from where they are in the pic below. It's pointless finishing what I've started now because adding an additional ingot would just be wasteful, so unfortunately it seems that because a simple mistake (mis-click) it's cheaper to just throw away what I've already spent resources on.

Hope this gets changed sometime soon, it's been driving me insane!

pain.png

• Cookie time 1

I largely agree that it would be good if we could keep the scrap nuggets of metal from blacksmithing, there is a mod that lets you do that at least. With that in mind, you actually haven't screwed the pooch on this blacksmithing project, with good use of the directional actions on your hammer you could move one of the purple voxels on top of the other, and move it into position to finish the nails and strips. It depends on how many voxels are touching it and where, but give it a try, you might be able to salvage this easily. 

• Like 1

I'm confused; what's the problem?  You messed up, but it's not irrecoverable.  Consider the upper left the "top".  Take the top right most black-bordered voxel, hit it "down", it should get put on the second level, then just maneuver it down to the green corner.  As long as you have more black-border voxels than green spaces left, there's probably a way to recover.

Also, if you wanna get fussed about wasted material, I find it much more annoying that the metal I am forced to remove is irrecoverable.  1 ingot takes 100 units of metal, and yields 7*3*2=42 voxels of metal on the anvil.  Each voxel should be worth around 2.38 units.  When you remove a voxel from a metal you should get a <metal> scrap which you can melt back down in a crucible for 2.38 units per scrap.

EDIT:  Illustration:

SmytheRecover.thumb.png.9f41ca30a3edf8805427e79e3ddc5bbe.png

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus
  • Like 3

Yeah it's one of those janky situations that I think can be done better. I would use either Anvil Metal Recovery or XSkills to get the bits back; it's more in line with other aspects of the game, like clay forming.

Also, if, like me, you're tired of the smithing and knapping minigame, I would suggest getting the Knapster mod. It makes the process less tedious.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for letting me know about these things, I didn't even think of some of the stuff posted here!
Also, I have tried what Photrius said (although I greatly appreciate the illustration) it doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm definitely gonna try out those mods though

comfy snow.png

1 hour ago, Lord Kane said:

I have tried what Photrius said (although I greatly appreciate the illustration) it doesn't seem to work for me.

That's perplexing..  I'm running a small handful of mods, but they shouldn't have anything to do with Blacksmything...

Let me tinker with things.

EDIT:  Yeah, not sure what's up.  I turned off all my mods, went into a survival game, and I can still peel up both ends of the line of four black-bordered voxels.

However, since that doesn't work for you, here's an alternate method that *should* work.  If it doesn't, I'm not sure what else to tell you; are you playing game version 1.18.5?

SmythingRecovery.thumb.png.69d5e4f3cd599dfd89f9420d01d37bcc.png

Also, that snowy screen shot is beautiful.  I love the snow.  Someday maybe I'll get to Winter in a save (I play 30-day months.  XD)

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus
  • Like 1

eh.png.9539e476f31c03eaea98d505204d6883.png

On 6/18/2023 at 5:31 PM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

EDIT:  Yeah, not sure what's up.  I turned off all my mods, went into a survival game, and I can still peel up both ends of the line of four black-bordered voxels.

However, since that doesn't work for you, here's an alternate method that *should* work.  If it doesn't, I'm not sure what else to tell you; are you playing game version 1.18.5?

To be fair, It's probably one of my mods that makes this problem, I've been playing with a handfew myself.
Although, after testing myself it seems I am able to upset the bits without the black borders. (bottom right of metal pic)

I figured it out. Turns out the only way you can upset the pieces is if there is are two empty spaces touching it (although it seems I was able to move a couple with only one, so I'm not too sure for the 'rule' which allows you to move the pieces), I can move everything now. (and honestly I feel dumb)

2023-06-20_13-22-06.jpeg

1 hour ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

I'm glad you got it sorted!  How do you get a bow to lean up against a wall like that?!  I gotta start making tool racks instead of chests for them.  Looks so much more atmospheric...

You can place tools/weapons like that by pressing ctrl+shift+right-click.

Edited by Terosism

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.