World Map icons hide/show/search

Miltius

When looking at the mod ProspectorInfo, they have a way to show overlay. I would like to have something similar implemented natively into Vintage Story that does this for the map markers (waypoint icons). Utilize a checkbox and instead of showing text, have it show the icon of the market and if one select the marker then it shows only those icons on the World Map that the player can currently see even though the player has saved more markers than the one that was check-marked. This would allow quicker viewing of the markers we only want to see at that time on our World Map. With worldgens being so large, I find this is fundamentally essential to have as our marked waypoints grow as we explore the generated map we are on. 

Also, I think this may help reduce the overall performance drag that occurs when we open the world map while having tons of waypoints marked (well over 150). 

Please think about adding a way to filter the waypoints and manage them better by allowed players to pick and choose they want to see on their world map while hiding others or choosing to hide all only on the world map but not on the minimap. This way we can navigate better while still being directed from the minimap. 

What do you all think?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Agree that would be nice. I doubt it would make much of a difference in performance. 10k radius revealed map just takes a lot of time to generate.

Its a bigger issue than you may think regarding performance -- especially when playing on an online server. I also noticed that there is a map database for each server which looks like a hashed naming structure that can be opened in SQL lite which defines the areas you've discovered. My file is approximately 500 MB and has 38k+ data rows spanning over 1,300+ pages. It needing to be accessed not only locally but updated to reflect new changes from an online server = a strain on the world map so performance additions to main map generation like I mentioned above are absolutely necessary. If it is local/offline play then its a lot different and much quicker to access.

• Like 1

Oh, OK. I'm mostly local with a little singleplayer to test new ideas. My single player maps rarely exceed about a 10k radius explored (which is not terribly hard -- I can walk and do chores on my machine at max view distance, so that's 1.5k right there), but our local worlds are vastly larger.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.