Trying to understand room recognition

Jack Mackey

I recently built what I think should be a room, but it isn't registering as one. I've tried numerous things to figure it out/fix it and I just can't get it to work. Hoping someone can point out what's going on here.

The room has polished slate floors 1 block deep, slate cobblestone and pine plank walls 1 block wide, a sleek pine door, pine windows (52 total, 22 on the first floor and 30 on the second), and a polished slate ceiling which has slate roof tiles above it. Inner dimensions are 7x7x7. The floors arr 3 blocks tall when I wall them off completely - neither the upper or lower floor registers as a room even when there is a completely solid wall between them on y=4. The building is centered on 0, ~, 0.

As can be seen in the screenshots, there is some weird stuff going on with room recognition. The "back" wall (meaning furthest from the front door) seems to be just outside of the detection range. And the back window, if I stand on top of the first wall block, is being counted as its own room (windowroom screenshot shows this). This isn't just a visual thing with the debug tool, as you can see my hunger rate from the floor and what should be "inside" the room is 145, but only 120 when I stand on the window sill.

Things I've tried:
1. Replace all the window blocks with slate/pine planks.
2. Put a solid layer of blocks on y=4, making the lower room 7x7x3.
3. Move the back wall (furthest from door) forward 2 blocks (I didn't move it, but I placed a new, solid wall here 2 blocks closer to the door). Effectively making the room 5x7x3.
4. Change all the pine logs to slate cobblestone.
5. Use the world edit command to shift the structure forward 2 blocks (to get it inside the red bounding box).

Regardless of what I've tried, the room is never recognized as one. As far as I can tell, it meets all the criteria for being a room. This is built right next to my starting base (there are a few air blocks between them), which consists of 7x7x3 rooms which register just fine, so I'm really confused on what's messing this new building up. I'm wondering if maybe there is something related to build order where depending on the order blocks are placed in it will create rooms and then not update if the surrounding area changes.

Any help/input on what's going on here would be greatly appreciated.

145floor.png

120window.png

clippedbox.png

windowroom.png

Do you have full blocks above your head? AFAIK less than full blocks don't count for ceilings. I bet if you made a loft (if there's not one already of course) and put full blocks above your head it'd count as a room.

EDIT: I assume by "wall off" you mean you made the floors completely enclosed with full blocks. If that's the case I'm not sure what's going on either.

Edited by ArgentumVir

Yeah, that's what I meant by "wall off" I placed a complete floor on y=4 making the bottom room 7x7x3, instead of 7x7x7 (and the upper level doesn't register as a room when the floor is on y=4 either).

Edit: And to clarify, I am not using any chiseled blocks yet, or stairs, or anything else that might be weird. All original, solid, full volume blocks.

Edited by Jack Mackey

• 2 months later...

I know I'm incredibly late to this, but I may have the answer to your issue. You mentioned you were using a sleek door, and, well, those are not insulating. They have a big decorative hole, so I think they're more meant for dividing up areas in a room (for example, if you're trying to avoid the game taking a small room as a cellar).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 9:20 PM, Nara_NB said:

I know I'm incredibly late to this, but I may have the answer to your issue. You mentioned you were using a sleek door, and, well, those are not insulating. They have a big decorative hole, so I think they're more meant for dividing up areas in a room (for example, if you're trying to avoid the game taking a small room as a cellar).

This was my thought, exactly! Today I found out that anything with a hole will do that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.