Gameplay Stuttering

Manimal

Hello,

I found this game while using my steam deck. Bought it at v1.18.10. Ran perfectly on the deck. Very rare stuttering.

Fell in love. Amazing game!

Alas, my deck had to be RMA'ed. Still waiting on it. 

So I moved over to play on my home pc. It blows the deck out of the water. RTX 2070 super and 32gb ram.

Now I'm on v1.18.14. 

I'm getting stutters almost all the time. Every other game plays fine. I understand this is early access. Still...

It's very game breaking and distracting. I've tried changing all the settings and a fresh install. Yet nothing helps...

So my question is this...

Anyone one else experiencing this? Is there something in settings I'm missing?

Or did a recent update upset the game? If so, how does one downgrade to a previous version?

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Edited by Manimal

After playing a bit more. I've noticed that these instances seem to cause more significant stuttering...

#1 - Temporal rifts. Often when out exploring. They spawn right on top of me. Or very nearby. With instant stuttering. Why do they even exist in daylight? They don't do anything in the day...

#2 - Heavily forested areas. Any dense forest causes some stuttering. Some more than others. 

#3 - Dropped Items. This one affects my home and mines the most. I often drop un-needed items in a hole or water. Upon returning home. Or after returning to a mine. (Sometimes up to a week later). Items are still where I dropped them. Do items despawn in this game? If not. How does one dispose of trash?

Tried enabling vsync? I was getting constant stutters out of the box too but turning on vsync made the game buttery smooth, and my specs are much lower than yours (GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM) but I'm still able to run smooth at Very High preset.

15 hours ago, Meren said:

Tried enabling vsync? I was getting constant stutters out of the box too but turning on vsync made the game buttery smooth, and my specs are much lower than yours (GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM) but I'm still able to run smooth at Very High preset.

Thank you. I'll try. 

I assume you are playing vanilla, no mods? Weird. Never seen stuff last that long. I'm often hoping stuff will still be there when I get back, but no.

I've got the game on machines much less powerful than that, without problems. You aren't having issues with your hard drive, are you? Plenty of free space?

If you have isolated it to the video card, though, you can hover over each of the settings and a popup will show how much impact each typically has on FPS. If you crank the Max FPS, what kinds of numbers are you seeing? More importantly, are there spikes, and if so, how frequent and how bad? Do they correspond to anything you can see an indicator of, like being synced to the hard drive LED, or if you know how to have a resource monitor stay on top, does it show corresponding spikes on any of your hardware?

Thorfinn - Thank you. Yes, vanilla, no mods. Hard-drive 1.62tb free of 2tb. So good there.

I wish I knew exactly what fixed it. So I could help others. But here's what I did this morning.

Start game - turn on v-sync and Nvidia performance overlay. Max fps. Nothing changes, No noticeable connection in performance. Still stutters...

Check PC for updates. Even though I just did this a few days ago. Turns out - New Nvidia update (literally this morning) and a new Bios update. Install both and restart pc.

Start game - leaving v-sync on with new updates.

Game running so smooth now.

If I was a PC tech. I'd be able to narrow it down, but I'm not...

Maybe it was just the updates. Though I didn't have time to play even a half hour this morning.

I'll play more later and see if it still is fixed.

Thank you to everyone for your help! 😀

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.