Found halite on prospecting pick, does that mean there is a salt dome nearby?

Chuckerton
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

I heard that halite works a bit differently with the prospecting pick than ore deposits, and that's because it's a rock type and not really an ore. Thats why I wanted to ask this question. 

I've found the area where the halite readings are highest, it's still pretty low, but theoretically there is something here, right? If I'm finding that there's some halite here wouldn't that mean that there is a salt dome, even if it's a fairly small one? There's a lot that I can't do without salt that I would like to start doing, like making cheese. 

Halite won't show up on mode 2 (node search) due to not being an ore. Though if sylvite ever shows up, it means you're inches away from a halite deposit, because sylvite only generates inside halite.

However, it will show up on mode 1 (density search) just fine, because mode 1 doesn't actually detect the presence of something. Rather, it detects the probability of something being there. The more favorable the wording is (i.e. poor, decent, high, etc), the higher that spawn chance is. The number that follows is more debug output than useful data and can be safely ignored in most cases.

You can totally find a halite salt dome in an area that says "miniscule" on density search, because all dice rolls just happened to succeed against overwhelming odds. And you can fail to find one in an area that says "ultra high", because all the dice rolls just happened to implausibly fail, or because the geologic makeup of the area is less than ideal. But on average, your chances to find something are much, much higher in an area with a favorable wording on density search.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.