Is there any way to find out which mod is (possibly) throwing this error?

So, I'm running VS 1.19 stable, and I've made sure the mods I'm running are updated for this version.  Game created the world with no issues, I played for a few minutes, and suddenly everything that dropped from breaking stuff/harvesting just...stayed on the ground and vibrated.  Oddly, for a bit, I'd GET the item, but the object would still be visible on the ground.  Then I stepped into a particular chunk and BOOM.  Crash to desktop.  I ran the game in repair mode...still couldn't collect items, but the game loaded without issue.  Went back to load the game normally...BOOM...crash to desktop.

Here's my error log file.  Is anyone language-savvy enough to be able to tell me what it is that's causing the error?  I have a couple dozen mods installed, and some of them are best-used at worldgen, so it's hard to just turn mods off one-by-one to pinpoint the issue.

Running on 64 bit Windows 10.0.19045.0 with 16366 MB RAM
Game Version: v1.19.0 (Stable)
1/18/2024 9:25:46 PM: Critical error occurred
Loaded Mods: bettercrates@1.7.0, buzzwords@1.6.0, extrachests@1.8.0, fantasycreatures@0.6.4, FlexibleTools@2.1.0, glowingarrows@1.2.0, juicyores@1.0.0, moreclay@1.0.1, OresAPlenty@3.1.0, pieontheshelf@1.0.0, potontheshelf@1.0.0, primitivesurvival@3.4.5, sca@1.0.1, ssppvv@1.0.5, temporal_gears_stack@1.0.0, game@1.19.0, ancienttools@1.5.12, animalcages@3.0.1, betterfirepit@1.1.3, hudclock@3.4.0, sailboat@1.2.6, medievalexpansion@3.13.0, th3dungeon@0.2.1-rc.1, vanvar@3.3.0, creative@1.19.0, vsquest@1.0.0, survival@1.19.0, vsvillage@0.9.0, metalrecovery@0.1.19-pre.1
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
 ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Vintagestory.GameContent.EntityItemRenderer..ctor(Entity entity, ICoreClientAPI api) in VSEssentials\EntityRenderer\EntityItemRenderer.cs:line 103
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Void** arguments, Signature sig, Boolean isConstructor)
   at System.Reflection.ConstructorInvoker.Invoke(Object obj, IntPtr* args, BindingFlags invokeAttr)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Reflection.ConstructorInvoker.Invoke(Object obj, IntPtr* args, BindingFlags invokeAttr)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture)
   at Vintagestory.Common.ClassRegistry.CreateEntityRenderer(String className, Object[] args) in VintagestoryLib\Common\ClassRegistry.cs:line 383
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientSystemEntities.OnEntitySpawnOrLoaded(Entity entity, Boolean loaded) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\Entities.cs:line 148
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientEventManager.TriggerEntityLoaded(Entity entity) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Util\ClientEventManager.cs:line 442
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientSystemEntities.HandleEntityLoadedPacket(Packet_Server serverpacket) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\Entities.cs:line 210
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.ExecuteMainThreadTasks(Single deltaTime) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientMain.cs:line 769
   at Vintagestory.Client.GuiScreenRunningGame.RenderToPrimary(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\MainMenu\Screens\GuiScreenRunningGame.cs:line 200
   at Vintagestory.Client.ScreenManager.Render(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ScreenManager.cs:line 674
   at Vintagestory.Client.ScreenManager.OnNewFrame(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ScreenManager.cs:line 649
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(FrameEventArgs e) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientPlatform\GameWindow.cs:line 78
   at OpenTK.Windowing.Desktop.GameWindow.Run()
   at Vintagestory.Client.ClientProgram.Start(ClientProgramArgs args, String[] rawArgs) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientProgram.cs:line 318
   at Vintagestory.Client.ClientProgram.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<.ctor>b__1() in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientProgram.cs:line 128
   at Vintagestory.ClientNative.CrashReporter.Start(ThreadStart start) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientPlatform\ClientNative\CrashReporter.cs:line 93
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Vintagestory.GameContent.EntityItemRenderer..ctor(Entity entity, ICoreClientAPI api) in VSEssentials\EntityRenderer\EntityItemRenderer.cs:line 103
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Void** arguments, Signature sig, Boolean isConstructor)

That crash is happening in the game engine itself so it doesn't reveal much.  Looks like an entity (typically a creature) is causing the crash though.  I'd start by updating the game to 1.19.1 - lots of bugs fixed there.  Beyond that, I guess I'd check the comments in the individual mod pages to see if any similar reports have popped up, or new releases.

I can tell you that I've been playing with Buzzwords, Primitive Survival, and Hudclock (across many 1.19 releases), and haven't had any serious crashes with those.  That's not to say it isn't a mod conflicting with one of those though.

Edited by Spear and Fang

I'll try updating first.  Thank you for the response.  If not, the only thing I have installed that adds creatures (I believe) is the Fantasy Creatures mod, and maybe that's creating issues.

Edited to add: the update seems to have fixed this, with no need for mod removal.  I feel like an absolute UNIT for not trying that first.  Thanks, @Spear and Fang for your help!

Edited by Xandyr1978
Update of post
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.