PC required to make it look all pretty :-)

Silverye
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

First post here after finding this wonderful game last week. Loving it.

Currently running it on my 12 year old PC, which has an Intel i5 2500K and a basic GeForce GTX 560Ti graphics card.  Now looking to purchase something more modern to play the game on (plus try some other modern titles - used to game tons, but work and kids took me away from PC gaming, and mainly been titles like Rimworld in recent years for the little time I get).  The game still runs well on my current very old set-up, just the view distance isn't that great but still manages to look pretty. 

What are people finding works for long viewing distances plus all the effects turned up to max?  

Currently considering a Ryzen 5 7600 along with a Nvidia RTX 4070 Super 12GB.  Is that overkill?  

Another cheaper option is a Ryzen 5 5600X and a RTX 3060 12GB. 

Any experiences would be very greatfully received 🙂

• Solution

Both of these systems will run Vintage Story just fine. For reference, I got 60-75 FPS on 1440p with a ten year old i5-4670 and a Geforce 1060 6GB... at view distance 640 and decently high settings.

However, do not design your PC entirely around a single game. Consider what else you might want to be playing in the coming years, as far as that is possible. If you are someone like me who's fine with spending a ton of time in "older" titles, your requirements will be lower, but if there's a future triple-A release you have your eye on, the 4070 Super is going to be the minimum option.

Regardless of what setup you choose, go for 24 or 32 GB system memory. 16 is not enough going forward.

You're already looking at video cards with more than 8 GB of VRAM, which is good - don't go lower than 12 anymore.

Don't bother with mechanical disks anymore. 1TB of NVMe SSD is perfectly affordable and more than enough if you're not a hoarder or record video.

Consider going for an X3D CPU. The difference in gaming is significant. There should be a 5600X3D if I'm not mistaken, though it's only available in the US last I checked.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Both of these systems will run Vintage Story just fine. For reference, I got 60-75 FPS on 1440p with a ten year old i5-4670 and a Geforce 1060 6GB... at view distance 640 and decently high settings.

However, do not design your PC entirely around a single game. Consider what else you might want to be playing in the coming years, as far as that is possible. If you are someone like me who's fine with spending a ton of time in "older" titles, your requirements will be lower, but if there's a future triple-A release you have your eye on, the 4070 Super is going to be the minimum option.

Regardless of what setup you choose, go for 24 or 32 GB system memory. 16 is not enough going forward.

You're already looking at video cards with more than 8 GB of VRAM, which is good - don't go lower than 12 anymore.

Don't bother with mechanical disks anymore. 1TB of NVMe SSD is perfectly affordable and more than enough if you're not a hoarder or record video.

Consider going for an X3D CPU. The difference in gaming is significant. There should be a 5600X3D if I'm not mistaken, though it's only available in the US last I checked.

Many thanks Streetwind, that's a superb answer and really helps me out. 12+ years ago I was up to speed with what was good on the component from, but out of touch since and have used MacBooks for work.  That's a great steer on the memory front (I was going to stick with 16GB but not now) and also the X3D tip. 

Now just need to buy one instead of putting it off thinking that a better deal will be around the corner - lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.