Do we have to create a new world/seed after updates?

Conquest of Blocks

I'm asking this in particular, because i am running a multiplayer server and am building a lot of structures and stuff in the starting area and throughout the world for players to discover.

But if in case there will be an update like better caves (the current ones are pretty boring, i think), then this update probably won't apply on already existing worlds? Which would mean i have to reseed/renew a world and will loose everything i have build?

You certainly don't need to regenerate the world after every single update.  Many if not most do not affect world gen.  I believe that things which affect mob spawning are backward-compatible (raccoons for instance spawn in old world generations).  however something like papyrus for instance, would only spawn in chunks generated with the update in which they arrive.  So, it sort of would depend on how thoroughly you want your world to be populated by new stuff.  The public test server for instance has been up for like, a year or more I think, and there have been several updates that had small world gen affects.  We just had to explore further out to get chunks with the new stuff.  

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.