Toggle option 'Sleep through temporal storm'

AlteOgre

Currently one can sleep through a temporal storm. I think it would be a fitting option to not be able to do so as those warning messages to prepare are in the game for a reason, and preparing for such events and going through them seems to be a signature part of the VS experience to me. So, I propose to add the functionality that blocks sleeping after the message 'a light/medium/heavy temporal storm is imminent' has been sent until the message 'The temporal storm seems to be waning' is sent. Obviously, as not all players would appreciate this, this would be configurable and possibly set to disabled by default. For SP instances this would function in a very straight-forward manner, but for MP games this may require a bit more pondering. As there already are a lot of suggestions regarding sleeping on MP servers I will refrain from going into more detail on that aspect.

I'm sorry if this may have been suggested before, but I didn't get any hits for "sleep through" & "temporal storm" in this forum.

• Like 1

I think first, it would be nice to be able to sleep through the night, in general. The sleep mechanics in the game need a massive overhaul, since a night is about 12 - 14 hours long, and you can only sleep for a maximum of 8 hours. I'd want "Sleep until dawn" to be implemented before anything like this. All this would really encourage is people slabbing a room, muting the game, and alt-tabbing for 20 minutes. It would just add yet more unplayable time to the game. Sleeping through a Temporal Storm is already optional. Just, don't sleep.

What would be the benefit? What would it add to the play-ability of the game? In a single-player game, if you don't want to sleep through a storm, you just don't sleep. In a multi-player game, if any single player doesn't want to sleep through a storm, they can force everyone else online to suffer through it as well by just not sleeping. If you're online on a multiplayer world, and someone refuses to sleep, you can just log off until it's over. If you're on a multiplayer world on your own, it follows the same as a single-player world. There's no benefit to removing the ability to choose.

42 minutes ago, ApacheTech said:

There's no benefit to removing the ability to choose.

Yes, there is. It disables the player to avoid them. That is a similar type of benefit as those that any other setting provides that allows the user to make a SP game harder. Would you object against those with similar arguments?

As a matter of fact, I think it would be in the spirit of this game if by default players wouldn't be able to 'sleep through temporal storms'. So, if it was up to me, it should be optional to be able to sleep through them, and not the other way around. 😉

Edited by AlteOgre
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlteOgre said:

Yes, there is. It disables the player to avoid them. That is a similar type of benefit as those that any other setting provides that allows the user to make a SP game harder. Would you object against those with similar arguments?

As a matter of fact, I think it would be in the spirit of this game if by default players wouldn't be able to 'sleep through temporal storms'. So, if it was up to me, it should be optional to be able to sleep through them, and not the other way around. 😉

Indeed, allow the player to configure the difficulty to their choosing.

I would like the ability to turn off sleeping through temporal storms as it suddenly no longer makes it an option to do so, and from my own personal enjoyment perspective, finding a way around this would be cheating and ruin the fun. If it's an option to sleep through them though, suddenly it's fair game and not cheating so it just makes more sense from a personal perspective to sleep, even if it's not as enjoyable.

Ultimately, this is a personal preference thing and an easy option to add to the world generation settings / server config. So why not? +1.

I see it as a potential slippery slope. If we start adding config options to "ban" players from performing actions like that, I could see a need to remove the ability to enter creative mode, or enter most of the chat commands. If it feels like cheating even to have the option of sleeping through a storm, does it not also feel like cheating if you have the option of going into God Mode, speeding up time, or just skipping the night entirely? On a multi-player server, should logging out of the server be disabled during a storm?

There is no difference between not sleeping through a storm, and not entering Creative Mode or not speeding up the time via chat commands.

There is a massive difference between sleeping through a storm, and entering Creative Mode or speeding up the time via chat commands.

What I would support, is a full-on, hardcore, "Deathwish" game mode, that disables beds entirely, and has perma-death that deletes the save file and gameworld upon death so you can't save-scum. In that mode, you wouldn't have access to any of the /time, /weather, /gamemode, /giveitem commands, so you'd be forced to stay in Survival mode. But that would be chosen at world-gen, and single-player only, of course, and it would definitely not be by default.

Edited by ApacheTech

17 hours ago, ApacheTech said:

I see it as a potential slippery slope. If we start adding config options to "ban" players from performing actions like that, I could see a need to remove the ability to enter creative mode, or enter most of the chat commands. If it feels like cheating even to have the option of sleeping through a storm, does it not also feel like cheating if you have the option of going into God Mode, speeding up time, or just skipping the night entirely? On a multi-player server, should logging out of the server be disabled during a storm?

There is no difference between not sleeping through a storm, and not entering Creative Mode or not speeding up the time via chat commands.

There is a massive difference between sleeping through a storm, and entering Creative Mode or speeding up the time via chat commands.

What I would support, is a full-on, hardcore, "Deathwish" game mode, that disables beds entirely, and has perma-death that deletes the save file and gameworld upon death so you can't save-scum. In that mode, you wouldn't have access to any of the /time, /weather, /gamemode, /giveitem commands, so you'd be forced to stay in Survival mode. But that would be chosen at world-gen, and single-player only, of course, and it would definitely not be by default.

Eh, no, not at all. I think you're needlessly using hyperboles just to stress your point of view. I disagree that this concerns a 'slippery slope' feature for the reason I mentioned in my third post in this thread: I think not being able to sleep through a temporal storm should be the default. And if players would wanna make it easier for themselves, they should be granted the option to toggle that. Anyway, it's up to the developers to determine whether this specific and concrete proposal would cross a border they set for the game regarding this and similar features. Just like it's up to them to decide whether or not a proposed change would be in agreement with 'in the spirit of their game'. We can merely bring forward potential improvement options.

The game mode you describe would justify a separate suggestion thread. I don't think it adds to the discussion of this very specific and concrete suggestion.

Edited by AlteOgre

On 4/14/2020 at 4:45 PM, ApacheTech said:

You see it as a slippery slope, I see it as giving the player additional options. I would actually be for adding in all these options, of course, disabled by default, to force legitimacy. It's very easy in these kind of games to die to something, see it as the game's fault, and then cheat in order to get your stuff back. If this isn't an option, you of course cannot do it, so this isn't necessarily a bad option.

On 4/14/2020 at 4:45 PM, ApacheTech said:

This is definitely something that should be added to the game at some point. This would really enhance the survival aspects of the game, especially hunting for food earlier on. Of course, this probably won't be added until the game is more fleshed out, but a good suggestion nonetheless.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.