Jump to content

NullReferenceException on HudEntityNameTags only in multiplayer server only


Go to solution Solved by Venseer,

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi

 

I am hosting my own server just so I can set time to pass while I am not playing and currently I am facing a problem I can't figure out what is happening.

When playing single player, it is incredibly stable and nothing crashes but ever since I moved to a server and configured everything, from 5 to 30 minutes my client hard crashes and gives me an error report:

Spoiler

Running on 64 bit Windows 10.0.19045.0 with 130764 MB RAM
Game Version: v1.22.7 (Stable)
21/08/2026 19:49:19: Critical error occurred
Loaded Mods: walkingstick@3.0.10, blackraspberry@1.2.6, bola@1.4.2, catchledge@0.7.1, chonkyvessels@1.5.9, blocklayeroverhaul@1.0.2, crawlanddive@0.2.5, deciduoustrees@1.8.2, earthfed@1.1.0, effortlessstructures@0.2.0, farmingrevamped@2.1.0, fastpackeddirtpaths@1.22.3, flintsaw@1.0.1, fadynasties@1.3.3, fagothic@1.3.4, fagreenwich@1.4.6, fahussar@1.1.6, fajousting@1.0.5, falandsknecht@1.2.5, fatemplar@1.4.6, favarangian@1.1.0, faviking@1.1.6, holdfast@0.1.4, immersivefoliage@0.1.1, jsonpatcheslib@1.5.9, leaflitter@1.2.6, longtermfood@0.7.2, millwright@1.3.4, ndlglowworms@1.0.1, overhaullib@2.0.10, primitivesurvival@5.1.3, redlight@2.0.8, renderfat@1.2.0, seasonalflowers@1.1.2, shelfobsessed@2.2.1, spinningwheel@1.2.12, stonemallet@1.0.4, tankardsandgoblets@1.4.4, vaultandroll@0.1.2, venseer-tweaks@1.0.0, game@1.22.7, vsimgui@1.2.7, waterunderfarmland122@1.1.0, waypointsnextgen@2.1.1, abyssaldepths@1.0.18, aculinaryartillery@2.0.0-dev.21, alchemy@2.1.19, algernonsterrainsampler@1.3.0, attributerenderinglibrary@3.2.0, egocaribautomapmarkers@5.0.3, bedspawnv2@1.7.1, bettererprospecting@3.4.5, betterruins@0.6.3, blocksoverlay@4.11.6, bloodtrail@1.2.5, boatspeedtweaks@1.0.5, calendarhandbook@1.1.0, carryon@1.14.3, cavesandcaverns@0.5.1, climbmountain@0.2.4, configlib@1.12.0, elkphysics@3.0.3, tackandequipment@1.3.0, fastmap@122.5.1, feverstonewilds@2.1.2, firewoodtosticks@1.0.0, footprints@1.2.5, fromgoldencombs@2.0.8, fruitbuff@1.0.2, genelib@3.2.0, hanfu@1.2.0, hudclockpatch@4.4.1, immersivebackpacks@1.3.3, immersivemodularbackpacks@1.6.1, japanesearchitecture@0.9.7, jaunt@3.1.0, knapster@4.0.0, mnflowers@2.0.0, mngeology@2.0.10, materialneeds@2.0.0, meteoricsteel@1.0.15, mobsradar@3.0.0, moreanimals@1.7.0, morefogplease@0.0.1, naturalfertilizer@1.5.1, ndlflowergrowth@2.5.2, ndlgrassgrowth@2.0.0, ndlmushroomgrowth@2.4.3, ndltreegrowth@2.7.0, ndlwoodentorchholder@3.0.3, picotrashslot@1.0.1, pinmatrix@1.7.0, placeonslabs@1.2.0, playermodellib@1.23.8, portalsreborn@1.0.3, purposefulstorage@2.1.1, realisticwater@0.3.2, regalia@1.8.2, resinglue@0.1.0, resinfarmremake@1.1.4, rivers@5.0.3, rollupbed@1.0.4, rustboundmagic@3.2.5, rustmatica@1.0.0, seamlessrapids@1.0.1, shadehouse@1.4.1, smithingplus@1.9.0-rc.1, synergy@1.1.25, toolsmith@1.2.19, univmodmngr@0.7.1, creative@1.22.7, vsecomachina@0.6.1, vsroofing@1.7.2, survival@1.22.7, vsvillage@6.0.5, watersheds@7.0.4, xlibfork@1.0.36, autoconfiglib@2.0.10, draconis@1.5.0, equusferus@1.0.4, expandedfoods@2.0.0-dev.12, em@3.8.0, mightysmeltables@1.0.4, realisticrapids@0.1.2, rustboundmagicxskills@0.2.2, rustmaticaeasyplace@1.0.0, safehouse@1.0.1, shearlib@1.3.0, storagetweaks@1.4.1-rc.3, tailorsdelight@2.2.2, terrainslabs@1.0.17, vsvillageaged@0.0.8, vsvillageindustrial@0.0.8, vsvillagetowers@0.0.8, xskillsfork@1.0.95, bricklayers@3.3.0, efchefstricks@1.0.0-dev.3, efmealsmodule@1.0.0-dev.5, wool@1.9.5
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.HudEntityNameTags.OnRenderGUI(Single deltaTime) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\Gui\Huds\HudEntityNameTags.cs:line 25
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.GuiManager.OnRenderFrameGUI(Single deltaTime) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\Gui\GuiManager.cs:line 309
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.RenderToDefaultFramebuffer(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientMain.cs:line 1048
   at Vintagestory.Client.GuiScreenRunningGame.RenderToDefaultFramebuffer(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\MainMenu\Screens\GuiScreenRunningGame.cs:line 251
   at Vintagestory.Client.ScreenManager.Render(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ScreenManager.cs:line 783
   at Vintagestory.Client.ScreenManager.OnNewFrame(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ScreenManager.cs:line 686
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(FrameEventArgs e) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientPlatform\GameWindow.cs:line 112
   at OpenTK.Windowing.Desktop.GameWindow.Run()
   at Vintagestory.Client.ClientProgram.Start(ClientProgramArgs args, String[] rawArgs) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientProgram.cs:line 354
   at Vintagestory.Client.ClientProgram.<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<.ctor>b__1() in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientProgram.cs:line 131
   at Vintagestory.ClientNative.CrashReporter.Start(ThreadStart start) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientPlatform\ClientNative\CrashReporter.cs:line 95

Event Log entries for Vintagestory.exe, the latest 3
==================================
{ TimeGenerated = 20/08/2026 01:21:37, Site = , Source = Application Error, Message = Faulting application name: Vintagestory.exe, version: 1.22.7.0, time stamp: 0x693c0000
Faulting module name: openal32.dll, version: 1.23.0.0, time stamp: 0x63dd31ad
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x00000000000df046
Faulting process id: 0x9e3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01dd305a0c3917e0
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Vintage Story\Vintagestory.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\Vintage Story\Lib\openal32.dll
Report Id: 8a5b30a2-9baa-491d-a8f9-3264788f89de
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:  }
--------------
{ TimeGenerated = 19/08/2026 23:39:56, Site = , Source = Application Error, Message = Faulting application name: Vintagestory.exe, version: 1.22.7.0, time stamp: 0x693c0000
Faulting module name: openal32.dll, version: 1.23.0.0, time stamp: 0x63dd31ad
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x00000000000df046
Faulting process id: 0x58d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01dd304aeb8a6d51
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Vintage Story\Vintagestory.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\Vintage Story\Lib\openal32.dll
Report Id: 728d45b0-def3-4686-b0a5-14e4b7d125d6
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:  }
--------------
{ TimeGenerated = 19/08/2026 23:23:40, Site = , Source = Application Error, Message = Faulting application name: Vintagestory.exe, version: 1.22.7.0, time stamp: 0x693c0000
Faulting module name: openal32.dll, version: 1.23.0.0, time stamp: 0x63dd31ad
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x00000000000df046
Faulting process id: 0x5014
Faulting application start time: 0x01dd3049b0517307
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Vintage Story\Vintagestory.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\Vintage Story\Lib\openal32.dll
Report Id: e5251911-bc12-47ca-9cc9-1d2babde0e06
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:  }

 

(yeah I know its a lot of mods, I just kept adding stuff)

The logs didn't help a lot so I am not sure what to do

I tried removing the most obvious stuff that probably would mess with the HUD and GUI (mobs radar, blocksoverlay, picotrashslot) but no clue what is causing this. Anyone has any idea how can I troubleshoot this that doesn't involve removing one by one until it stops crashing?

Posted (edited)

I did some troubleshooting (disabling and enabling stuff) and it looks like it was being caused by VSVillage.

Edit: Still happening - I don't know what else I could do

Edited by Venseer
still bugged
Posted
10 hours ago, Venseer said:

Edit: Still happening - I don't know what else I could do

Have you tested "hudclockpatch" as a potential offender? While nothing has reported on the ModDB page of that mod, pretty much the exact same crash log has been posted here. Both mods are fairly similar in nature, so the likelihood that both are utilising related functions is greater than zero.

Posted
5 hours ago, Brady_The said:

Have you tested "hudclockpatch" as a potential offender? While nothing has reported on the ModDB page of that mod, pretty much the exact same crash log has been posted here. Both mods are fairly similar in nature, so the likelihood that both are utilising related functions is greater than zero.

I have been on and off testing things, I'll try to test this next, but I believe it might be a mod that is adding new entities to the game (something like more animals, equus or feverstone) I have no basis for this though, its just a gut feeling.

Posted
2 hours ago, Venseer said:

I have been on and off testing things, I'll try to test this next, but I believe it might be a mod that is adding new entities to the game (something like more animals, equus or feverstone) I have no basis for this though, its just a gut feeling.

To get results quicker you could do a binary search - this would speed up things if you have been disabling/enabling mods one by one.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

Oh nevermind I think I got why this was happening, thank you so much ConfigLib/Maltiez for the time wasted.

Sick dependency chain attack.

Edited by Venseer
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.