Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I swear; I keep loosing cob.  I go pillar up to break the leaves off of trees when I chop them down, and after I dig it back up, I seem to keep having less of it.  Has anyone else noticed this lately?

 

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Phillip Susi said:

I swear; I keep loosing cob.  I go pillar up to break the leaves off of trees when I chop them down, and after I dig it back up, I seem to keep having less of it.  Has anyone else noticed this lately?

Cob has a 15% chance to drop nothing when broken.

If you're curious, the most useful blocks for quickly pillaring up are generally:

  • hay, because it breaks very quickly by hand (several times faster than soil),
  • regular soil or strewn straw for general purposes (the latter is preferable if you're playing with soil instability; packed dirt can also be used but it breaks a bit slower),
  • cob, only if you need to quickly get a lot of blocks in the early game, but it gets annoying due to the material loss,
  • ladders - regular ladders are preferable, crude can work because it currently only needs attachment at the base, but rope ladders will not do for this specific purpose - for when you need to go up and down a few times (and they also break very nicely from the base).
Edited by MKMoose
  • Thanks 1
Posted
On 9/13/2026 at 4:50 PM, MKMoose said:

Cob has a 15% chance to drop nothing when broken.

Oh wow.  The handbook doesn't show that and I never noticed losing it before now.  I've been using cob to pillar forever.

 

On 9/13/2026 at 4:50 PM, MKMoose said:

ladders - regular ladders are preferable, crude can work because it currently only needs attachment at the base, but rope ladders will not do for this specific purpose - for when you need to go up and down a few times (and they also break very nicely from the base).

Wait, you said rope ladders are not good, but then that you need to go up and down a few times?  I only need to go up once and I assumed that chopping down the tree would cause the rope ladders to fall.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Phillip Susi said:

Wait, you said rope ladders are not good, but then that you need to go up and down a few times?  I only need to go up once and I assumed that chopping down the tree would cause the rope ladders to fall.

Broadly speaking, rope ladders are preferable for descending, whereas regular ladders are preferable for getting up places, so my assumption was that regular ladders would be better suited for pillaring up to break leaves off of trees. But if you're able to get where you want using rope ladders then by all means, you can use rope ladders just fine - you will have to attach them to the tree or hang it off the leaves, though, instead of just placing a standing ladder anywhere you please, which may be more or less practical depending on the tree.

Regarding the part about going up and down a few times, that's just a general remark to point out that you can't do the same with full-block pillars - you'd have to build a new one each time you need to get somewhere again. Ladders are freely climbable and as such may be more convenient as something akin to scaffolding, especially for example when building something with a lot of verticality.

Edited by MKMoose
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.