Phillip Susi
Vintarian-
Posts
60 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
News
Store
Everything posted by Phillip Susi
-
Does sleeping do anything other than pass time?
Phillip Susi replied to Phillip Susi's topic in Questions
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what's going on. The first time I ate a meal of about 800, so should have only had about 500 hidden bonus. I messed around for an hour or two before laying down for bed, and when I woke up, I hadn't lost any visible satiety, or even an hour later after poking around the base. I ate some more before going out for the day and had a small fraction of a meal leftover after topping off. When I came back in the evening, I finished that little bit off right before bed, and by the time I woke up, I had lost less then 200 satiety. There is no way I had anywhere close to 800 hidden satiety from that little bit of leftovers before bed. So... EAT BEFORE BED! It stretches that hidden satiety far more. -
Does sleeping do anything other than pass time?
Phillip Susi replied to Phillip Susi's topic in Questions
So I think that sleeping consumes satiety faster than standing still, but only the visible satiety -- the hidden satiety is consumed at the same extra slow rate that standing still does when you sleep. That's why eating before bed seems to be so powerful. -
Does sleeping do anything other than pass time?
Phillip Susi replied to Phillip Susi's topic in Questions
So after eating another slice of blueberry pie and sprinting for 30 in game minutes, the satiety was already going down. So maybe there is something to this. -
Does sleeping do anything other than pass time?
Phillip Susi replied to Phillip Susi's topic in Questions
So after eating a slice of blueberry pie ( 240 each of fruit and grain ), my satiety did not start to drop again for almost 3 hours while standing still. That's 3 x 29 ~= 85 bonus satiety. That may be consistent with getting most of the maximum single ingredient. Next I need to try sprinting a good way after eating a slice of the same pie. And sleeping after eating the same pie. -
Does sleeping do anything other than pass time?
Phillip Susi replied to Phillip Susi's topic in Questions
So standing around looks like it consumes 29 satiety per hour. Going to sleep at 20:08 with 1883 and waking up at 05:30 and 736 gives 1147 / 9.5 hrs ( that's funny, the bed says it lets you sleep for 8.5 hours, not 9.5 ), gives 120 per hour. So... WTF? Sleeping actually makes you far MORE hungry? Also I just saw something strange happen again. After waking up and getting out of bed, the in game time jumps backwards by a few minutes. I'm sensing bugs. Looking at the link you gave, it seems to indicate that the bonus satiety only depends on the strongest single ingredient in the meal, and the strongest one you can use is red meat. So any meal with one red meat in it will give you the maximum hidden bonus. Meaning that a meal of 4x red meat gives you no more bonus hidden satiety even though it gives the most resoration to the total hunger bar. This seems to directly contradict what I've read elsewhere on the wiki which stated that the bonus is tied to the total amount of satiety that the meal restores, so 4x red meat should give the most. If the former is true, then a meat pie and a pot pie will give the same extra bonus. If the latter is true, then a meat pie should be more. I'll have to test that carefully now because it has seemed to me that the meat pies have lasted longer. Also the notion that any single food category bar being frozen freezes the total satiety bar seems to imply that the individual category bars tick down at a constant rate, but I swear that they are non linear. I haven't had any dairy in several months but that bar is still half full. They seem tick down faster when they are more full and slower when less so. -
Does sleeping do anything other than pass time?
Phillip Susi replied to Phillip Susi's topic in Questions
I'm pretty sure the wiki said that meals give you a fixed time period of time during which you don't loose satiety, and so it is a good idea to do lots of things during that time that normally cost a lot of satiety, like sprinting. It also seems like if you eat a medium meal and stand around waiting, satiety starts dropping again within maybe an hour or two, but if you sleep for 8.5 hours, you don't loose any. I guess I'll have to go actually measure the amount you lose standing still for an hour or two vs sleeping in bed, then repeat right after eating a meal. -
Does sleeping do anything other than pass time?
Phillip Susi replied to Phillip Susi's topic in Questions
Oh, I was always also wondering about just sitting down and being still helping with hunger. It doesn't seem to directly, but are you saying that if you do it after eating a meal and have the temporary buff, it also helps that last longer? -
It seems like sleeping just passes time, causing side effects associated with that, such as healing and getting hungry, but maybe it does something more? It almost seems like that temporary buff of not getting hungry for a while after you eat a meal is somehow extended during sleep? Am I imagining this? In other words, it seems like if you eat a big meal right before sleep, you can actually not loose any hunger while you sleep.
-
Oh boy, apparently the yearly average temperature at my home base is only 3.8. At my new southern base it is 5.3. So, yeah, I guess I'll be hunting for bees south of here.
-
Oh wow. I wish I knew that when I started. I have been trying to make my way south to find bees for 4 years now. I think my south road is about 1200 blocks long now. I'm only 5% of the way there?
-
Oh wow. The handbook doesn't show that and I never noticed losing it before now. I've been using cob to pillar forever. Wait, you said rope ladders are not good, but then that you need to go up and down a few times? I only need to go up once and I assumed that chopping down the tree would cause the rope ladders to fall.
-
I swear; I keep loosing cob. I go pillar up to break the leaves off of trees when I chop them down, and after I dig it back up, I seem to keep having less of it. Has anyone else noticed this lately?
-
I didn't even realize you could make dirt fall like sand and gravel. Does that still apply to rammed earth?
-
crafting Fruitpress, why isn't it crafting?
Phillip Susi replied to ClaireTheMare's topic in Questions
Yeah, there is that crafting bug where you put the things in the grid and the output shows up for a split second, then disappears like you can't craft it. Relogging fixes that. But it also looks like you were trying to use a hammer and chisel that were two different materials, so I wondered if that could be the problem. -
Did the drop table for panning change recently?
Phillip Susi replied to Michael Gates's topic in Questions
Yea, low probability + random chance can give pretty long runs of not getting any. I remember back in the day I played Dark Ages of Camelot and when trying to make master crafted gear you had a 1 in 50 chance on each craft with max skill and people would bitch and moan on the forums all the time about how they spent all their money crafting 100 or 150 items and never got a masterpiece so there "must" be something wrong with the RNG. Yea... it can happen. And not all that rarely. Then sometimes you try 50 and get 2 or 3 masterpieces. Good luck, but also not that unlikely. -
Any way or mod to make chiseled blocks be able to move? (Here, windows)
Phillip Susi replied to Atemo's topic in Questions
Nice looking window! I'll have to give that a try. What is the handle made of? You can only chisel together two different materials right? -
I think there was a butchering mod that stops you from being able to harvest meat with a knife and you have to use its process instead. You don't have that one do you?
-
The whole point of water is to separate the smaller bits from the larger ones, which is also what a sieve does ( dirt doesn't dissolve in water; it just gets blown around by it and settles back out ). And what else are you going to do with all that gravel? May as well sift it. I spent a long time playing the GregTech mod in minecraft, which added hundreds of real world ores that often had to be refined using machines like crushers, sifters, sluices, centrifuges, acid baths, magnetic separators, and electrolyzers. Lots of gravel like things could be sifted on a sifting table that took steel wire to make the mesh, and later could be automated with a mechanical sifter powered with either a steam or electric engine. It even had the very real ( and quite complex ) process to refine bauxite and similar ores into aluminum. It made it very understandable why aluminum was not a metal people used for ages, and until industrial electricity came along, was more valuable than gold. Napoleon was said to have had a set of aluminum dishware to show off his wealth.
-
Let the sieve do what panning does, only without the need to be standing in water. Bonus points: let you place it in world and connect it to mechanical power like a quern.
-
I guess what took me by surprise was that I first started using cob, since that only takes 4 low fertility soil and 5 grass ( which is pretty much free ) to make 10 blocks was a very abundant early building block. Then I moved to cobblestone, since rocks are abundant ( both being found on the surface, and from panning gravel, and digging deeper once you get a copper pickax ), but I quickly ran out of clay between using it for that, and all of the molds and cookpots, so I turned from using cobble to drystone. I was a bit worried that wattle and daub had twice the need for clay as cobble, but I guess now that I have all of the molds and cookpots and oven done, I don't need it so much anymore and keep finding more of it. Still, it would be nice if the daub recepie produced a little more than it does now. Maybe 12 instead of 8 so you can get two full wattle and daub blocks if you don't mind leaving it incomplete or almost two if you want to complete it. Aesthetically I would love to make stone blocks but that requires cement and I still have not found any sedimentary rock on my world, of any kind, even though it is supposed to spawn on top of the igneous rock below.
-
I dug out tons of peat and now my backyard is unstable...
Phillip Susi replied to Querdurch's topic in Questions
There are areas of the world that are unstable on the surface? I've only ever lost temporal stability either from a temporal storm, getting too close to a rift, or being deep down a mineshaft. -
My mods are getting blocked by my fire wall and i dont know why
Phillip Susi replied to mox3's topic in Questions
I was going to say this doesn't sound like the firewall. A firewall blocks network access, not loading dlls. Also the windows firewall is stupid and you should just turn it off. If you don't want a program accessing the network, then either tell it not to access the network or don't run that program. It doesn't make any sense to run a program that is supposed to access the network only to have another program prevent it from doing what it is supposed to do. AFAIK, firewalls became popular on windows because microsoft insisted on defaulting windows to always running their file sharing program and it kept having security bugs, and rather than just disable the file sharing program, ding dongs installed a firewall to stop it from actually working. -
Is it possible to repaint the wattle and daub after the fact or is it stuck with the color it is crafted with?
-
It takes clay, sand, dirt, sticks, and grass to make one block. Clay is somewhat valuable so if I'm going to burn that for a building block, it seems like it's better to use it to make cobblestone and get two blocks for the price of one, and without the dirt and sand, which are also useful and not renewable.
-
No, actually I was trying to drag it *down*.