Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I saw this topic in the Build forum https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/18883-year-2-wrap-up/ So I would like to contribute how my Year 0 experience.

World Settings and Personal Challenges

image.png.03762d31251e4e2d04cbf3a3a76f8a35.png

The idea is that I wanted something similar to the real world, with plenty of water to sail around in. The Polar-equator distance is purely personal preference and is honestly CBT for exploration. However with a sailing boat, it should make exploration of the polar/equator so much easier. The idea is a semi-hardcore world, where you gain one additional life per temporal gear by "anchoring a copy yourself at that time at a specific location"

seed was random and is (1594397272)

I do have a minor challenge where I like to play without a minimap up until I can get a piece of parchment + ink and quill. To simulate "writing" on my minimap the marker color is limited to whatever "dye" I have on my person at the time. I am free to modify that a marker's color when I have that "dye" available. So for my early game, for navigation and prospecting, I had relied on haybales, landmarks, and general familiarity with the land. I will admit there were a couple of times I was almost lost, thankfully, there is a large mountain that allowed me to orient myself and find my way back to my main shack

The Main Shack

image.thumb.png.6f25322699b8b6eaeeff8eaf93657af3.png

just a standard rammed earth home. Nothing special and really serves as a shelter for temporal storms, sleeping, and warming up. The main shack was initially established with haybales and was quickly replaced with rammed earth. Personally I prefer smaller living spaces that maximizes/utilizes it's space for utility or aesthetic reasons.

image.thumb.png.5d64e674b81cf757bf3ade1e6e40a5fb.png

image.thumb.png.3819fc315603d178eb243d964ebd615d.png

 

I have a unrelenting hatred for bears in the game as they have given me so much grief while learning the game. And so, I have decided to collect the "heads" of every single bear that I kill. There are like 2 or 3 heads that are missing because I accidentally used it to make gloves and other pieces of clothing. I eventually want to "stake" their heads around my homestead to serve as a "warning" to any bear that dares wanders close. For whatever reason, when winter came, bears and wolves have been, like migrating? and have been moving towards my homestead. I spared none because because would never had done the same for me

image.thumb.png.d29d0145ad10be4bd46f400e9b1eb9cf.png

 

I also have some makeshift pens for some rabbits, wolves, and pigs. The wolves are penned because I want to see if they can "reproduce" and serve as an alternative source for fat. Up until winter there have been no pigs/boars until 2 sows had wandered close enough for me to pen them.

image.thumb.png.d6fb9f884c8a02039b263f5c02156c51.png

 

I have no love for the wolves as they have given me so much grief in the past while learning the game. So when they all howl in unison, I like to throw stones from my shack's perch. I am aware they can't be "tamed" but I have taught them pain and they now try to run when I get close. These wolves were all corralled in my old goat pen when they were pups and I made sure to feed them meat from their parents. I plan on ending their misery when I find a boar for my sows or if no new pup is produced by the end of Year 1

image.thumb.png.bfd408d9fca452f4c141d8b6c967e9b5.png

The rabbits are kept close because I haven't had a chance to build a barn for them and I would like to think that I am making their meat "leaner" by having them "run" away from the wolves from the nearby pen. I also doubled the fence because I was worried the wolves would be able to attack through the fence and kill my rabbits.

 

 

Industrial Park

image.thumb.png.61c860d549534a61579c3142a62ec377.png

It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to build like a "blacksmithing" area and saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJpLVMIIW1A. And I really liked the idea of an "industrial park" where all sorts of industrial endeavors take place. So I am currently in the process of messing around with a charcoal kiln and coke ovens (directly inspired by the video).

The Beehive Kiln was directly inspired by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60EuArKHN_s so it now has a pretty little covering. Really now I need a steel kiln and a location to store my fuels in the open.

 

Baker's House

I took inspiration from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjCF1yJVrw&t=89s for the baker's house and helve-hammer house

image.thumb.png.150aef0412c7030de9ef39136dc40b23.png

 

I made some personal modifications to the interior for my needs

image.thumb.png.2e140d84d07517e4fc9a17345514ba2a.png

image.thumb.png.f51677addf2d07e47e57cd5b2ed17ed5.png

 

Helve Hammer House

The Helve-hammer house atop a hill

image.thumb.png.b53357b69438561c2eeb9383f991cbf8.png

the helve-hammer house up-close that also serves as a lighthouse for my sailing needs.

image.thumb.png.fa67bc7f9069327119518bb008733555.png

 

Behind the helve-hammer is the ocean/sea, with my boat in the distance

image.thumb.png.e1e02b22fc61b400c4e7043e0da16cd1.png

The inside of the helve-hammer house with the helve-hammer working diligently (I am in love with the quarter log rafters)

image.thumb.png.66ffeb8603fd51cda187592b347a8fa0.png

 

Chicken Farm House MK1

The barn was given a lightning rod, because lightning still kills, even with a roof overhead (I had learned that after lightning had killed my only rooster)

image.thumb.png.0ad3c99f4528286872d5c3dd78b4bb37.png

 

I have an upstairs, dunno what I want to use the upstairs for (probably for flax seed storage), plus I dont even like my mk1 barn design. So I will eventually rework my chicken's barn to mk2

image.thumb.png.5ebc23ec18c656e71ca0e33e6316856a.png

 

here is my lower gen chicken pen. I keep the lower gen chickens alive in case of an emergency, but will likely meet their end when I breed enough gen10 chickens. I also want keep gen 8 hens so I can raise gen9 roosters for cock-fighting

image.thumb.png.380d0c82d8b760acc810c021ecdfc47d.png

 

 

Goat Barnhouse Mk2

An experimental barnhouse style that emphasized quarter logs. One window has quarter logs, but I dont like it and haven't gotten around to removing it. The outside seems very monotonous and very plain, but I have no real plan on adding additional details

image.thumb.png.8668f39bb9be05f872c5a8e37d87d6a9.png 

 

The inside of the goat barn that I both love and hate. I like the additional space and the "pillars". Still dont have an idea what I should do for the upstairs, probably going to convert the upstairs into like a guest bedroom or something like that

image.thumb.png.c22f1d94bb88ce2f35b4ec067a3c574e.png

 

These pillars kind of piss me off, but I kind of have to concede with my design choice. I do like these little alley to refill the troughs (especially when the animals are hostile)

image.thumb.png.4aedba7770ed25ca4fb441a6dfc3e255.png

 

Underground Entrances

The area that I settled on had plenty of holes that required covering to prevent early bowntorn drivebys. I really love dry stone and I accidentally made bunch of tan clay stuff (I wanted red bricks). The surface is all peridotite with andesite underground. Not a fan of green, but I might as well work with what I got

image.thumb.png.9b845d57729e12f3aaf0286ecbac5db9.png

 

I did make an andesite version and I've got to say, I really love the tan + andesite combo. Probably will be better with orange bricks. I've got plenty of andesite that I need to waste so probably going to make a Distillery/Winery nearby utilizing Andesite + Tan Bricks

image.thumb.png.7c78cc1b1dbf7ad47a4e202ef29ebc7e.png

 

Storehouse

Right across my andesite shaft is a basic storehouse. I was experimenting with beams. Overall, I really like the design but I must admit, I did go overboard with the beams

image.thumb.png.3affd85d3b50f5ef566f05c00f2ca82a.png
 

 

Edited by Asatar
grammer and additional stuff
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

The front of my storehouse

image.thumb.png.dc754e2fd60bf6f7bc024b7072a1a901.png

The inside of the storehouse with all of my unused tan tiles

image.png.0fc7b0447c3f5928dd1c582b80f92ba9.png

 

 

Year 1 Goals

  • Capture a boar
  • Build a bear pit to collect bears (so I can throw rocks at them)
  • Build my main home (atop a nearby mountain)
  • Build a Distillery/Winery
  • Complete my industrial park
    • Build a House for Crushers
    • Build my Steel Forge
    • Roofed Smithing Area
    • Smeltery
    • Area for Bloomeries
  • Get way more iron
  • Get WAY WAY WAY more copper for chutes and automate feeding and autogrinding
  • I eventually want to explore the coastline of the continent 
  • Build/Modify Barnhouse Mk3 inspired by (which is a kicks ass post ngl)
  • Complete Chapter 1
    • Get an Elk
  • Build a garden/park for fruit trees and berry bushes
  • Kill a polar bear and a sun bear and make bear armor out of their respective pelts
Edited by Asatar
  • Like 1
  • Asatar changed the title to Personal Game Yearly Roundup
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.