Jump to content

Let's make steel! ( now working lol )


Sniper Ely
 Share

Recommended Posts

I thought of making a small .json mod to add steel as a grid crafting recipe made of chromium, lead, copper and 1 iron ingot plus a few charcoal pieces. It uses the steel lamellae as "Small steel chunks" that you can smelt and make into ingots.

This is by no means realistic, chromium and molybdochalkos( alloy from lead+a bit of copper) is used to make stainless steel and it's made in a blast furnace ( by the replies below ). The actual recipe would be iron ingots and some charcoal or coal as a source of carbon but then there is no incentive to use iron for armor.

Because chromium is a tier 5 ore, I made it a tier 4 ore so an iron pickaxe can happily mine it!

Original post was asking how to make the alloy work. But iron can't be used in the alloy as it doesn't melt so I scrapped the idea.

 

This was fun! now it works after a good long time of looking at other mods and understanding what everything does and where it goes... Now the mod works as intended!

Props to  DArkHekRoMaNT for giving me some help down in the replies!

 

SteelMaking101.zip

Edited by Sniper Ely
Finally working like a mod!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Use .zip, not .rar
2. Add "game" domen to ingredients and output:

{
    ingredients: [
        { type: "item", code: "game:ingot-iron", minratio: 0.87, maxratio: 0.9  },
        { type: "item", code: "game:ingot-chromium", minratio: 0.1, maxratio: 0.13  }
               
    ],
    output: {
        type: "item",
        code: "game:ingot-steel"
    }
}

And then you can put the files in /assets/<modid> and not in /assets/game. Recipes do not need to be added to the survival folder, just to /assets/<modid>/recipes. 

P.S. Although the game is divided into several mods, they all use the "game" domain

Edited by DArkHekRoMaNT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

A small question, how and where to find chromium? And is it mined with an iron pickaxe? I don’t remember exactly, but there were ores requiring steel and higher :)
Also iron cannot be melted at the moment. It has a melting point higher than that of any fuel.

I tried to zip it and added game, still nothing, am I missing something?

In the Neolithic mod, chromium can be found like copper on the ground signaling the zone has some.

The initial recipe I wanted was 70% iron, 13% chromium, 15%lead and 2% copper(aka, iron+chromium+ molyb... that google said it's used in steel for getting it stronger), anyway... I just searched steel making on google, and because I can't put iron+charcoal because of alloys take metals and that would be tooo easy for gameplay sake so iron armor is useless. 

I tested it again , yeah.. iron can't be smelted rn even if the steel alloy has a melting point of 1250...

SteelMaking101.zip

Edited by Sniper Ely
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unlike .rar, .zip can be opened everywhere. The .rar has some advantages, but in this case they are not relevant. If you pay attention to the releases, there are all mods in .zip. It's surprising that the game recognized the .rar archive at all).

You can make a crutch and patch the iron melting point. Or at least make a recipe at bloomery.
But a relatively realistic recipe for steel, this is a blast furnace, in which cast pig iron is made, from cast pig iron on an anvil get high-carbon steel, and already from it ordinary steel. Chromium is superfluous in steel, this is already an ingredient of stainless steel, if my memory serves me, it has a thin film of chromium oxide that protects iron from interaction with oxygen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

Unlike .rar, .zip can be opened everywhere. The .rar has some advantages, but in this case they are not relevant. If you pay attention to the releases, there are all mods in .zip. It's surprising that the game recognized the .rar archive at all).

You can make a crutch and patch the iron melting point. Or at least make a recipe at bloomery.
But a relatively realistic recipe for steel, this is a blast furnace, in which cast pig iron is made, from cast pig iron on an anvil get high-carbon steel, and already from it ordinary steel. Chromium is superfluous in steel, this is already an ingredient of stainless steel, if my memory serves me, it has a thin film of chromium oxide that protects iron from interaction with oxygen.

I can't get a simple recipe to work and you want me to add new blocks and stuff ... but yes, chromium ore can't be mined so the only way to get it is to find nuggets in the Neolithic mod... wait? you can make alloys at the bloomery?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

Most likely, you will need a code mod to add crafting to Bloomery. As with crafting in Quern.

What about making a steel plate or something that is steel with a melting amount attribute  in the grid so now you need to smelt it back into ingots then work it into plates or chains or scales?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

Most likely, you will need a code mod to add crafting to Bloomery. As with crafting in Quern.

well, I used "game:"  in the recipe but it still wouldn't work for me... can you take a look. I am confused, I am using exactly what it says in-game after I did ".edi" to see the full names.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sniper Ely said:

well, I used "game:"  in the recipe but it still wouldn't work for me... can you take a look. I am confused, I am using exactly what it says in-game after I did ".edi" to see the full names.

The game does not recognize recipes as recipes, you put them in the wrong place. I wrote before, apparently you did not see :)

9 hours ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

Recipes do not need to be added to the survival folder, just to /assets/<modid>/recipes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

The game does not recognize recipes as recipes, you put them in the wrong place. I wrote before, apparently you did not see :)

I feel betrayed, the game packed them that way when i used the "mod-maker"... that's an easy fix then. Thanks! 

PS: I didn't honestly see it, i just read the text above and went directly to put it in practice

Edited by Sniper Ely
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:59 PM, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

Unlike .rar, .zip can be opened everywhere. The .rar has some advantages, but in this case they are not relevant. If you pay attention to the releases, there are all mods in .zip. It's surprising that the game recognized the .rar archive at all).

You can make a crutch and patch the iron melting point. Or at least make a recipe at bloomery.
But a relatively realistic recipe for steel, this is a blast furnace, in which cast pig iron is made, from cast pig iron on an anvil get high-carbon steel, and already from it ordinary steel. Chromium is superfluous in steel, this is already an ingredient of stainless steel, if my memory serves me, it has a thin film of chromium oxide that protects iron from interaction with oxygen.

the game understands anything it seems..... you can have the mod be a folder in which you have assets and the mod info and the game recognizes it as a mod so .rar is pretty much the same principle... just a jampacked folder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Sniper Ely said:

the game understands anything it seems..... you can have the mod be a folder in which you have assets and the mod info and the game recognizes it as a mod so .rar is pretty much the same principle... just a jampacked folder. 

Rar is an archive. Any archive needs to be unzipped before use, and the game may simply not have an unzipper for non-zip files. For example, you can open a zip archive directly in windows explorer, but you cannot open rar.

Edited by DArkHekRoMaNT
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.