Creature Health / Player Damage Settings

Ashiel

Just purchased this game recently, still trying it out. Very impressed so far, and really appreciate it.

While fiddling with the different game settings, I thought it would be nice to have a couple of new options for further customization.

The game already has a modifier for mob damage (for making creatures deal more or less damage) or player health (more or less).

Could we get the reverse of these options as well? It would be nice to be able to adjust player damage (more or less) or mob health (more or less).

Even cooler would be an option that let you adjust non-aggressive (sheep, foxes, raccoons, chickens, etc), natural (non-monster predators like wolves), and monsters (cave critters and such), for if you wanted to adjust the game balance in different ways (such as if you wanted creatures like a small raccoon to die quickly if struck with an axe or spear, or make monsters sponges, etc).

This kind of blurs the line between player customization and modding. I've seen streamers glance at the existing custom settings, eyes glazing over, and then just stick to the default settings. Making that menu even larger has the potential of putting people off of using it at all.

At the same time, everything you suggest is already possible through modding. And Vintage Story is a game built from the ground up with modding in mind. You can in fact just go into the game's files, change the health and damage values on every single creature, then run ModMaker.exe in the base directory - and it will spit out a fully configured mod that contains the changes you made (while restoring the game to defautl settings).

You're kidding right? It's literally the exact same thing that already exists in options except the entities are switched (PC / NPC). You can make it so a wolf can chew on you near forever (mob damage 25%, base health 30+) but can't make a rabbit die from getting a man-sized spear yeeted into its spleen. >_>

It's simple to add another general field, yes. It's less simple to drill down into individual creatures' properties, as in your last paragraph.

However, I'm pretty sure that anytime I've thrown a spear at a rabbit and hit, it died. Even with just flint spears. What did you try to use, and was it fully charged up?

Yep. I rather enjoy the throwing mechanic in this game (even though it took a sec to get used to).

By default a hare has 5 hit points. Any spear less than a flint spear cannot kill them, even with a perfect throw. However, based on the size of the spear, it should kill them even if it was just a sharpened stick with a fire-hardened tip. For the larger animals like the pigs or goats/rams, I think it's fine. However, for hares, foxes, and raccoons, I think it's silly.

I appreciate the tip about modding. I love modding games and honestly didn't expect it to be that easy.

I might have to look into adding things like fire-treated wood weapons and maybe an atlatl and slings to further improve throwing spears and rocks. A proper shot from a sling could cause immense harm even a grown man in armor, because of good ol' fashioned blunt force trauma. ^.^

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.