Greenhouse Troubleshooting

cosycloud

I did some testing in a creative copy of my survival world because my greenhouse was just not working. 

I eventually narrowed it down the roof of the greenhouse. But I am going to include below some configurations that work and did not work. I marked with an arrow to say what is what because sometimes (at least with my eyes) the blocks play tricks and things look like a full block or slab :)

So first the do not work #1 

• Red arrow spans clear full block glass
  • Blue arrows are clear top slab glass

2020-11-15_22-39-53.thumb.jpg.5fee38428b65d44459833de77543e0bb.jpg

Next does not work either

• Red arrow is clear top slab glass
  • Green arrows are full clear glass block
  • Blue arrows are clear top slab glass

2020-11-15_22-38-35.thumb.jpg.5df832f6f3398328ce19ccd33911f3f2.jpg

This one works

• Blue arrows are clear full block glass

2020-11-15_22-37-25.thumb.jpg.32cc7f12dcbfdc37d7722f4940b84959.jpg

And this one also works

• Blue is clear bottom slab glass (but as part of wall technically)

2020-11-15_22-34-36.thumb.jpg.76b45cf4475908b78a4b23aa08d4ef6a.jpg

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else trying to get the greenhouse to work :)

P.S. I DID NOT try those with quartz glass variants on the roof only clear. 

nice, but do you know why the ones that don't work don't work and why the ones that do work do work?

I have a greenhouse I can't get to work at all. and I tried the last method you show here but instead of bottom slab glass on wall and top slab glass flat across the top it was full wood block on sides and full flat glass ceiling.

I was trying to fix it during winter so not sure if it won't be recognized until spring or summer or what is going on but my original plan that I wanted to use didn't work and that was closer to your first picture but instead of even ceiling it was odd

my greenhouse inside from wall to wall is 7x7 and between 4 and 7 tall from farmland (including the farmland blocks themselves) to the highest part of the ceiling (including the upper most slabs).

*edit, my original plan used a combination of top and bottom slabs alternating a staircase like peak roof.

Edited by Sukotto82

@Sukotto82 

Unfortunately I am not sure. For me it was clearly those bottom or top slabs on edges of the roof area. I guess was that all roof parts need to be on the same level. I made a copy in windows of my world in the saves folder and then opened that copy and set it to creative to try a couple things out. In between attempts I would make sure to break the roof, wait a few minutes and usually sleep to reset and then try a different config. Then again once I rebuilt the roof wait a couple minutes and then sleep if possible just to make sure to give it enough time to update at least a couple blocks inside. 

If you know the 7 x 7 rule did you also check the other conditions from the wiki page on greenhouses? https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Greenhouse

Could you post a couple screenshots and maybe me or someone else could try and spot something? 

if it shows the green lines are bottom slabs and the purple lines are tops slabs. it is 7x7 interior and 7 tall.

the 7 tall is counting the soil layer and the upper most top glass layer at the peak. the wood trim at the top is actually 8 but is just for decoration the glass block below it should be the last block counted for the greenhouse and I have ladders outside the front door to climb on the roof and that shouldn't stop it from counting I don't think.

2020-11-17_02-48-32.png

the total exterior height from the bottom to the top on the sides not the peak is 5 blocks the peak goes up 1 slab at a time alternating between top and bottom slabs making full height 7 blocks at peak.

the top of the peak I have a bottom wood slab on top making a total exterior height of 8 blocks. I thought maybe this would violate the 7 block height limit so I even removed it and some other trim that I still haven't put back on yet and it still didn't register. 

I think the 7x7x7 size limit is referring to the interior size not exterior so I don't think having other blocks on the outside for aesthetics will effect the greenhouse as long as it's not blocking skylight in the roof that according to the wiki only needs to be 50%. clearly this is far more than 50% skylight in the ceiling. 

I think one of the issues is that you have a bottom slab as a roof piece. So your first row in from the wall is a bottom slab, next row a top slab and then the next row is again a bottom slab. And I think even though you can use slabs (but only if they are top slabs) I think they MAY have to be at the same level to count as a roof. OR more specifically - 50% of the roof must be glass and specifically on the same level or a full block. 

31 minutes ago, Sukotto82 said:

ok. I thought I tried that before but I don't remember so I'll do it and see what happens. thanks.

I had the same issue when troubleshooting what was going wrong. But I basically had to "reset" by waiting quite a long time, sometimes sleeping but breaking roof by making holes before the waiting and sleeping. Then try a new thing, wait (a while), check, then "reset" again. I saw you post in the mod discussion so think of it like testing your code :) That's what I did lol And again I am not expert I JUST got it working myself :) I was hoping someone else would jump in and provide more expertise as well haha

yeah still having trouble. the problem with sleeping is I'm on a server and there is usually always someone else one and it's hard to get everyone to try and sleep at the same time. 

everyone is doing their own thing most of the time.

I took out the entire ceiling lowered it even more. now there is only a 3 black gap between the ceiling and the farmland and I replaced all the glass with clear glass blocks and made it all flat.

I've done several test in my single player and in creative and the greenhouse works but for some reason it's just not working on the server.

I appreciate your help and interactions and feedback. I am going to give up on getting it to work because like I said it's working in single player and in creative so I'm thinking it's a server issue of some kind that I can't do anything about. other people have theirs working and I had mine working when I first built it but after the first winter it stopped working and hasn't worked since.

after I gave up eventually I decided to tear the whole thing down and just fence the farm area off like the rest of them but then while I was breaking it down I found something odd, one of the wood blocks in the wall made a stone sound when I hit it with the axe while I was tearing it down. turns out, some how, I don't know how, but somehow one of the wall blocks got chiseled though it was left as a full block so nothing was altered on it but since it was a "chiseled" block it didn't let the greenhouse recognize it had a wall. 

I have no idea how that chiseled piece got there. maybe someone else on the server did it as a prank when I had my claim down and was changing it up or somehow while I was running around at some point I had a chisel in my hands and accidentally hit the block with it and don't remember either way I rebuilt the greenhouse without the chiseled block in the wall and now it works.

I'm still confused at how the block got chiseled in the first place and I was getting very frustrated not knowing what was going on and if I never decided to tear it all down I would never have found that chiseled block.

Oh No! Yeah It would have been the chiseled block for sure. I am glad you eventually figured it out. Isn't that the way though. I had also spent quite a long time building and rebuilding certain parts getting it to work. With new games and game mechanics it can be tedious to figure things out sometimes lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.