Reinitializing chunks

David Burns

I'd like to delete and then reload many of the chunks in my world so that they include the updated features in the game.  It would be great if I could identify broad areas on a map for reinitialization.

I was unable to find a way to do this in the worldedit, and I have not been able to find a similar thread -- my regrets if one exists!

In case you haven't tried it yet, I assume /wgen regen [chunk radius] (at the bottom of the page) does that. You can use .debug wireframe chunk to show/hide the chunk borders.

Make sure to backup your world before you start using the command, and be careful around traders, as it might just delete them - at least it did when I played around with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just tried this command. It turns out that is does not "regen" the chunk in a way that it gets restored. It generates new chunks in the same space. I tried this out:
1. Was searching for salt domes with worldedit to learn how they spawn.

2. I removed rock with the "erase selected block" tool and then found the salt domes where they should be.

3. I used the "/we regen [radius]" command to regenerate the chunk in a 3x3 space since I ripped some serious holes in my world.

4. I carved out the rock again to see if the regen worked, but the salt domes were gone. It looks like the chunks got deleted and regenerated with some new random seed/salt. ("salt" in the random generator meaning)

So the question is how can i restore the chunks with the exact content they were generated the first time.

I also noticed an interesting map issue. The map gets saved to the same space for Singleplay/Multiplayer. In my case I copied the MP map from our servers to my SP to try out the stuff above in a safe copy. I "destroyed" my world in SP. I went back online on our MP server to see the same changes also were displayed there in the map (button M). When I teleported to the destroyed chunks they were of cause fine as they should be and the map updated showing the actual state.

I think the savefiles (local and server) should have their own map buffer even if the world is the same.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.