Is there a way to change shadow distance?

MrGR0-22

My computer has been doing some weird things lately, like, when I updated the game to 1.14.7 I was excited, because I was running the game at about 70-80 degrees (C °), and because of the update I got 45-55 degrades (C °). But on the second day I entered the game, and again I got 70-80 degrees (C °), so I was wandering, is there any way to improve this without removing the beautiful shadows? Is there any way to improve the graphics settings by manipulating some file?

I know that this does not impact FPS per-say, but I once had a graphics card that got ruined by temperature, so yeah.

Edited by MrGR0-22

Set shadows to the lowest level - they are still pretty good then, and higher levels have high performance costs. Also turn off god rays and SSAO, both of which are performance hogs.

You can also consider reducing the view distance slider and/or the resolution slider. Both have huge impacts on performance, but unfortunately also on the visuals of the game.

Ultimately though, your computer will not get any cooler by reducing the performance impact of the game, since the computer will simply calculate more frames per second in turn. So to keep the temperature down, you need to reduce the max FPS slider. Depending on how low you set the cap, this will significantly impact how well the game plays - but, well. You want to reduce your system temperature. This is the way to do it.

Of course, the higher the FPS can go without a cap, the less you have to push the cap downwards to see an effect. So reducing the graphics settings is definitely recommended.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 4:37 AM, Streetwind said:

Set shadows to the lowest level - they are still pretty good then, and higher levels have high performance costs. Also turn off god rays and SSAO, both of which are performance hogs.

You can also consider reducing the view distance slider and/or the resolution slider. Both have huge impacts on performance, but unfortunately also on the visuals of the game.

Ultimately though, your computer will not get any cooler by reducing the performance impact of the game, since the computer will simply calculate more frames per second in turn. So to keep the temperature down, you need to reduce the max FPS slider. Depending on how low you set the cap, this will significantly impact how well the game plays - but, well. You want to reduce your system temperature. This is the way to do it.

Of course, the higher the FPS can go without a cap, the less you have to push the cap downwards to see an effect. So reducing the graphics settings is definitely recommended.

Oh, ok thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.