What kind of server could I host with these specs?

Yel ozing

I have a few pretty decent PCs just lying around that I am not using at all,

The first one I would start with hosting is this one:

• CPU: Intel Six Core, i5-8600k @ 4.0Ghz
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666
  • SSD: 1TB Samsung 860 Pro
  • GPU: Asus GTX 980 4GB
  • Internet: 1000/1000mbps (Gigabit Optical Fiber)

How many players could I host at once, and what about the world/chunk size and so on? I don't know anything about hosting minecraft servers or game servers but I have hosted many torrent servers, virtual machines and so on. Would it even be worth trying to source more RAM, e.g. 32GB and so on?

I would host these I think as "free" servers with donation possible to keep them running, but most would only cost me a few dollars per month to run (I only pay 4.08c/kWh for power).

Thanks for any information.

Edited by Ginzo yel

11 hours ago, Ginzo yel said:

I have a few pretty decent PCs just lying around that I am not using at all,

The first one I would start with hosting is this one:

• CPU: Intel Six Core, i5-8600k @ 4.0Ghz
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666
  • SSD: 1TB Samsung 860 Pro
  • GPU: Asus GTX 980 4GB
  • Internet: 1000/1000mbps (Gigabit Optical Fiber)

How many players could I host at once, and what about the world/chunk size and so on? I don't know anything about hosting minecraft servers or game servers but I have hosted many torrent servers, virtual machines and so on. Would it even be worth trying to source more RAM, e.g. 32GB and so on?

I would host these I think as "free" servers with donation possible to keep them running, but most would only cost me a few dollars per month to run (I only pay 4.08c/kWh for power).

Thanks for any information.

Hello ! 
I'm hosting my servers not natively ( CentOS + Pterodactyl in Docker ) so you might use less ram than me but an approximate estimation of what to expect : 
- empty vanilla Server : ~400MB of ram needed . 
- additional Per Player Ram : ~300MB but i'd say ~400MB .
- For more than 20 players , it's recommended to have a strong Single Core Performance and several cores available ! 
Your SSD is very good , Your Fiber too and you are running on Windows 10 which should be even Better !

You could go with 32GB but i guess it's better to see first how it goes and then add if needed . 

Thanks for the quote. Another person on Discord told me I'd be lucky to have even 10 people on the server at once without lag. I thought this was highly disingenuous though.

Especially considering that sites that host servers with 30-odd slots were only roughly 2.5Ghz Dual Cores with 4-6GB of RAM and a 25GB SSD. Most likely those were virtualized also so I don't really understand how the machine I mentioned running natively on top of the OS would suffer so badly from what I was told on Discord. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of people/accounts to test it out though.

The main thing is that I'm looking to host a big persistent world with maybe a 12 month lifespan that is reset every 12 months in my region. Seeing as there are really very few servers in my region at the moment (I think next to none). So I'd like to know what to expect. I'd be happy with something that handles 10 people max online at once because I wouldn't expect more concurrent traffic, even if more than 50 people used the world.

Finally, doubling the RAM to 32GB wouldn't be a problem. It's pretty cheap these days. However doing the math, 16GB of RAM - 400MB just to run the server. -1.5GB to run the OS. That leaves me about 30 people's worth of RAM left, at 400MB each. I just need to figure out how to set it up with the config that I want and then work on it now. I might ask as many people as I can to log in and test it out sometime to see how it performs with 8-10 people on it, when I've got it set up.

Like I said, I'm only really looking for something that hosts 10 people at a time (at this stage). Though I would like it to not tank if more people got on.

Edited by Ginzo yel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.