Tools for spinning and weaving

Prin

I know that some people would like to make their own outfits, or at least customise what they have, and one of the goals of vintage story is to incorporate realistic survival/era progression. In keeping with this, I'd like to see card-weavers which could produces belts or trim to decorate clothing, drop-spindles were also a very early form of spinning and were used to make thread and yarn. A basic loom would also be nice, but that would be something that could be gated - you would need the saw for sure and probably steel to make the metal hooks which thread would need to be run through; alternatively, it could be susceptible to wear and tear and would need to be replaced after awhile.

• Like 4

You would need some form of resource that could be spun on such things. Wool would be a natural choice. Cotton or even silk worms for a warmer climate/specialty fabric resource if they wanted to get fancy.

I guess you could just use flax fibers, but if you are going to add all of those things for weaving/spinning and such, may as well add other options to work with as well.

It would be fun though, for those that enjoy such things.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thalius said:

You would need some form of resource that could be spun on such things. Wool would be a natural choice. Cotton or even silk worms for a warmer climate/specialty fabric resource if they wanted to get fancy.

I guess you could just use flax fibers, but if you are going to add all of those things for weaving/spinning and such, may as well add other options to work with as well.

It would be fun though, for those that enjoy such things.

Oh, for sure, and there's a ton of options people could have in fibres if they really wanted to go wild with it - it might even be worth expanding the idea to include specific qualities or use only certain fibre types in certain recipes. I can't speak for all fans of textile art, but I would cringe from the depths of my soul if someone used worm silk to make sacks for holding grain or flour. 

• Like 3

Lol, indeed.

If they ever did build a suitable weaving/spinning mechanic into the game, we have to have flags and banners and custom tapestries and such.  Microblock dying of woven fabric for customized versions of these items would be fun to have.

I'd think this would be a far down the road feature to be added though, once the more important things are squared away.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, Shaelin said:

Oh, for sure, and there's a ton of options people could have in fibres if they really wanted to go wild with it - it might even be worth expanding the idea to include specific qualities or use only certain fibre types in certain recipes. I can't speak for all fans of textile art, but I would cringe from the depths of my soul if someone used worm silk to make sacks for holding grain or flour. 

in that vein for early game there could be cordage (from grass, some taller flowers, or perhaps the inner bark of trees) which is made without tools and can be woven with a very rudimentary loom made from sticks (i don't know their actual name, but primitive technology has made one, and i've seen a few other ren faire videos with something pretty similar as well) which would make a very rough piece of cloth that could be sewn into early game clothes or bags/sacks. in the video linked he's stripping off the inner bark of trees, tearing it into thin strips, spinning it using a rudimentary spindle (a stick and a fired clay whorl, though that of course makes more of a twine and you could simply use your hands to make cordage with it instead), and then weaving it into some mats using a loom that he made with a few sticks stuck into the ground plus a little cordage to tie it all together.

don't get me wrong, i'd love for the later game to have spinning wheels, multi-shaft looms (the patterns for which could be designed via voxel chiseling maybe?) and beautifully intricate tapestries and clothes.

BUT. i don't see why the basic stuff should need to be gated behind any technology at all when it's not so hard to make it with stone age tools.

another idea (though i confess that i have no idea how it could be implemented in this game) could be nålbinding, which of course would require only a wooden or bone needle, and if nothing else could be the most rudimentary and low tech way to get fabric of some kind.

Edited by goaliemagics
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.