Need tips on block orientation (like slab)

Mat Fenric

I'm sure others could explain it better than I can, but open up your VS directory and go to assets/survival/blocktypes/stone/cobble/cobblestonestairs.json. In that file you can find this string of code:

variantgroups: [
		{ loadFromProperties: "block/rock" },
		{ loadFromProperties: "abstract/verticalorientation" },
		{ loadFromProperties: "abstract/horizontalorientation" },
		{ code: "cover", states: ["free", "snow"] }
	],

What you're interested in are the verticalorientation and horizontalorientation properties. These are what allow a block to be oriented in different directions. The vertical orientation is up/down, while the horizontal orientation is north/south/east/west. The cover group determines if the block has snow on it or not. So the block cobblestonestairs-granite-up-north-free would be a standard cobble stairway that you place on the ground and isn't covered in snow.

What I did when making new blocks with orientation was to copy the stairs file and then change the important parts (variantgroups, attributes, shapes/textures). There may be a better way, but it got the job done for me.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.