SP/MP Progression

Criperum

Right now the game endgame is quite close from start: you make steel and some automation. The rest game is just building fancy buildings. But we already have that kind of game (MC). Also game lacks multiplayer experience it's just single player on shared map but people tend go live and build alone.

My suggestion is to increase survival aspect of the game by utilizing temporal mechanics more. Right now we have unstable zones and temporal storms. I suggest that each day all map slowly decreases its stability and regions that go below some point goes into permanent temporal storm that gets worse by time. Also people will need some craftable way to increase local stability or just prevent storms. That would make people on MP servers actually cooperate to survive. 

The idea was inspired by corruption mechanics from Taumcraft.

Edited by Criperum
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Criperum said:

The idea was inspired by corruption mechanics from Taumcraft.

Did you know that Thaumcraft, and about a dozen other well-known MC mods, were based on the role-playing game Ars Magica (https://www.atlas-games.com/arsmagica)?  I would encourage anyone interested in how to do fantasy role-playing mechanics correctly to peruse the staggering number of support materials for this, now, no longer supported game.  In essence, the game explored the hypothetical consequences, on medieval culture, if magic could be manipulated according to certain rules.  Just so you know, one of factors being the generation of "Warp", which became the corruption mechanics you mentioned.  

To your original point, players (3-5 max) gathered together into "Covenants" to synergistically access and manipulate magical resources.  However, as with any resource, if you consume too much it depletes and if consume too fast it causes corruption/Warp.  So if you want to keep your Covenant alive you can either explore the world to gather raw magical resources or raid other Covenants to take their resources.

This competition for resources could form the backdrop of a complex end-game scenario and would equally apply to either a SP (a big dungeon developed according to game rules) world or a Covenant vs Covenant MP free-for-all.

Edited by Soliton

The overuse idea is not really good from my perspective since players need to use resources at first and since there is not much to do in the game right now the corruption/warp/etc. won't progress. So passive environment worsening is more preferred from my perspective. 

The competition for resources is also not relevant since resources are everywhere in the game. to make it work the ore overhaul is required. My idea is that its getting harder and harder to get the same resources since environment is getting worse. And it will require more cooperation and equipment to achieve the same result (like mine the same amount of ore form the undergraound)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.