Server Hosting

Winston Whitetail

So I know there are a couple articles about how one can host a server themselves, but I do wonder about one method that I'm not sure how to do as no one else seemed to have tried it yet?

Firstly, I found a very useful way to make minecraft servers without having to port forward, which often leaves the network vulnerable so finding that was very neat. It uses a program called Remote It to essentially connect your network with whomever you gave access to it and act almost as if you are on a local network.

Anyway, I was wondering if it was possible to use the same program to make a server for Vintage Story, and if so, how would one go about doing it?

Yeah, you absolutely can, the trick is, unlike Minecraft you can't have your game ALSO be a server; you need to open and run the server client AND open and run the game. If you only have one computer, that can get pretty dicey as you are essentially running the game twice, so unless you have a beefy high-end PC the server will Lag a lot.

So step 1 is to run the Server on a different PC, and have that PC run remote.

Step 2, is to connect to that PC via remote so you are in a pretend LAN. Then, the Server address will be that PC's *internal* IP address. NOT the external address google gives you if you search for "What is my IP Address." You can find your internal IP a couple ways. I open Windows Run command, Run "CMD" and then type in the command "IPconfig" The server address will be whatever your IPv4 address is and anyone on the same LAN (which is what remote is doing) will be able to get in with that.

Edited by Jessica O.

6 hours ago, Jessica O. said:

the trick is, unlike Minecraft you can't have your game ALSO be a server; you need to open and run the server client AND open and run the game.

Not true. When playing a singleplayer game, in the ESC menu there will be an "Open to LAN" button. If you click this, people can connect to your world without you having to tab out and starting a server in parallel.

Afterwards, the button in the ESC menu will change to "Open to Internet", and clicking it will make Vintage Story attempt to negotiate automatic port forwarding with your router. This requires the router to support UPnP, and have the feature enabled. If successful, your singleplayer world will be reachable via your public internet address, and should even be displayed in the public server list inside the VS client.

• Like 1

Well, I was more curious about how to achieve it using the program called Remote It. It's essentially like another one that works like hamachi.

It has a tutorial on how to set it up for minecraft, which requires in a way, running the server, looking for the server network in the program, adding it and sharing that with your contacts to connect to without having to port forward beforehand

ok, so you can open your single player game, "Open it to LAN" and then start up remote. Once your friends connect to you through remote, they should be able to join your game as they would join any locally hosted game. (I think by entering your Internal IPv4 address as mentioned above)  This is the easiest and simplest method but means no one else can play unless you are running and logged into the game yourself. If you want to have a static server that people can come and go from without having to be logged in the whole time you'll need to run the server client separately, which I advise to do on a separate machine if yours isn't high end enough to basically run the game twice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.