open to internet will not work

GainingGrain

I'm not very tech-saavy with Routers being buttholes with online games, but as a work around you could install a virtual LAN Program like "Remote" or "Hamachi" and have them join from inside the LAN with your Internal IPv4 address. That kind of thing usually works, even if it's a little bulky.

• Like 1

You should consult your ISP. This typically means that the device you have is either not configured for it at all or it just needs some meddling about from their end. Either way, contacting them and explaining what you are trying to do will give you your answer. If they say your router or modem supports it, they can walk you through it or do so themselves. If they say it doesn't, you have 2 options. 1) get a new one that does or 2) "temp" solve it with a program like Parsec (probably the EASIEST of these methods), ZeroTier or Hamachi, but as stated about, bulky (with the sole exception of Parsec).

The second solution will require you opening the programs and setting it up every time you want to make it go online, so the first solution is better but obviously not for everyone (budget etc). I would 100% recommend talking to your ISP before anything. It could be a simple setting they can adjust on their end.

• 2 months later...

You can check if you have a provider NAT, that will make it impossible for your friends to connect to you:

You should have a website with your router. You can check how you can reach it with IP Config (Win+R, type "cmd" and click "Run", then type "ipconfig" and press Enter), just type the address listed as "standard gateway" into your browser. The website of your router will have an overview about how it is connected to the internet - I can't help you with finding that one, every router is different - and show you an "external" or "public" IP address. If you have an IP address in the 100 range, it's a clear indication that your ISP has a provider NAT (many newer ISPs have them because IPv4 addresses are in limited supply). You can also compare the address with ip4.me to see what your (global) public address is and compare that with the IP of the router. If that one differs from your router's reported public IP, you definitely have a provider NAT.

Maybe this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.