The beginnings...

Tyron

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton

Vintage Story will not begin from Zero, there is no need for that. Instead it will use an existing game named Manic Digger as a basis. While being pretty basic content wise, it hides a few unpolished gems in its source code. It is extremly forthcoming by the authors of Manic Digger to release source code into the public domain, which allows everybody to use it for any purpose they desire, for which I am very thankful. It allows me to kickstart Vintage Story without the need to implement the basics first.

Hence, my primary goals at first were to strip down the game engine to it's most esssential parts and massively clean up, simplify and reorganize the remaining code. This is still an ongoing process and will probably continue for several more months to come. Once this is done, it is likely that less than a few percent of the original code remains untouched.

Here is the very first screenshot after I added a new block loader system to have the very first blocks from Vintagecraft in our new game. Please be aware that nothing in these screenshots is final and there's many textures that need to be replaced still.

vc blocks.png

Up next: A brand new GUI System

View full record

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.