Multiple Servers on same Host, how do I specify the port?

BluePsion Gamer

I've been having a lot of fun playing Vintage story and decided to set up a creative server also for me and my friend.  I am hosting on a debian machine using systemctl.  No issues connecting or setting it up.  The thing is I want to be able for us to pick what server we get on by the port number.  The default is 42420 and that is set to our normal world.

I set up the creative for 42421 and I can't figure out how to pick a different port in the game. I tried the normal method of a : then the port like this,

Host/IP Address: 10.0.0.5:42421

But no luck.

How can I tell vintage story client to look for the server on a different port? Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few tips for those on Windows machines. I cobbled this together after spelunking through the forum (and using Google's 'site:' search.)

• Please note I'm a passible beginner (at best) and not even *close* to an expert. But this works for us. Kludgy probably, but that's enough sometimes.
  • This works for one Server running at a time. Others report success by cloning the VintageStory install directory to another location and referencing it in the Windows Desktop Shortcut. Sounds entirely plausible.
  • I installed a new instance and archived the standard user profile for later use. On windows this would be: C:\Users\<theusername>\AppData\Roaming\VintagestoryData. I simply extract and rename it as as my new Server Directory. It does work with an existing user configuration folder, it just has more stuff than what you really need.
  • To create a new world, I use Single Player mode to test them, then copy the '<name>.vcdbs' to the new Server 'Saves' folder.

Ok, now with two servers:
    Server2020
    Server2021

Windows Desktop Shortcut changes:

2020 World:
    Target:   X:\xdir\Vintagestory\VintagestoryServer.exe --dataPath=X:\xdir\VSWorld2020\
    Start In: X:\xdir\Vintagestory\
2021 World:
    Target:   X:\xdir\Vintagestory\VintagestoryServer.exe --dataPath=X:\xdir\VSWorld2021\
    Start in: X:\xdir\Vintagestory\

2021 Server Configuration:

Note: You need to be VERY aware of the changes you make, such as noticing the ',' at the end of the lines listed below. Always make a backup before changing anything. A good text editor (such as Notepad++) can help enormously.

Configuration file location: X:\xdir\VSWorld2021\serverconfig.json

Modify the ModPaths setting (if you want additional server specific Mods)
    "ModPaths": ["Mods","X:\\NonSteam\\VSWorlds\\SpooneyServer2020\\Mods" ],
Modify the "SaveFileLocation" setting:
    "SaveFileLocation": "X:\\xdir\\VSWorlds\\VSWorld2021\\Saves\\<servername>.vcdbs",
Modify the Port section:
    "Port": 42421,

Optional modifications:
    ServerName:	Ex:	"ServerName": "SpooneyWorld 2021",
    WorldName: Ex: "WorldName": "NewTelengard",
    WelcomeMessage: Ex:  "WelcomeMessage": "Welcome {0}, lets have some fun.",

Hope you find this of some use.

Silt

Edited by David Spake

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.