Dumb Little 'modern' Windmill

PhotriusPyrelus

So I've finally made it to tinkering around with wind power.  Prototyping additions to my base in creative, and I came up with this monstrosity.  It looks so derpy, but it should work really well.

...yes.  The chiseling took forever.  @_@  Also, the open side was removed to display the innards.  It could be made slimmer, but I think it looks a little too weird with just basically a pancake with fans sticking out of it.  (EDIT:  To be clear, as above, this was in creative.  I didn't chisel each individual block, that would've really taken forever.  I chiseled each kind of block once and use middle-mouse to place it multiple times)

2021-10-19_21-12-25.thumb.png.183ebd53f7074079497fdafdc77a77e8.png

Bonus!  Did you know that windmill blades don't have collision with one another?  I hope this gets fixed eventually.  <.<

2021-10-19_21-16-41.thumb.png.abb9a6f9814a6bb7bcc4edaf0f5e395e.png

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus
  • Like 3

Here's what it ended up looking like in my survival world.  I did a little bit of chiseling.  3 'sideways stairs' of each of the 4 orientations.

2021-10-26_08-57-41.thumb.png.3f3b2e9803d8bfecacb85d298de2469c.png

...it has no sails because I need about a bajillion more flax.  @_@  I have 4 sets of sails and that's not enough to spin 4 querns in my cellar.  Though I s'pose I could remove 2-3 of them to get at least some automation going...  I'll probably take down the ladder on the north west side when I get all the sails in place

14 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Here's what it ended up looking like in my survival world.  I did a little bit of chiseling.  3 'sideways stairs' of each of the 4 orientations.

2021-10-26_08-57-41.thumb.png.3f3b2e9803d8bfecacb85d298de2469c.png

...it has no sails because I need about a bajillion more flax.  @_@  I have 4 sets of sails and that's not enough to spin 4 querns in my cellar.  Though I s'pose I could remove 2-3 of them to get at least some automation going...  I'll probably take down the ladder on the north west side when I get all the sails in place

I really like that concept. I was looking for a similar idea for my own world, so I'll probably be implementing your design to some degree.

The one downside would be that the sails, once fully upgraded, will clip into one and other. So it's visually a bit weird.
You could.. As an idea, extend one of the two sides opposite of one and other, up by the height of one fully upgraded mill. That way they won't clip into one and other but you'd still have 4 rotors going. With the added benefit of having the height bonus for the upper sails.

5 minutes ago, Windego said:

I really like that concept. I was looking for a similar idea for my own world, so I'll probably be implementing your design to some degree.

The one downside would be that the sails, once fully upgraded, will clip into one and other. So it's visually a bit weird.
You could.. As an idea, extend one of the two sides opposite of one and other, up by the height of one fully upgraded mill. That way they won't clip into one and other but you'd still have 4 rotors going. With the added benefit of having the height bonus for the upper sails.

I won't be putting full 5-sails on all four gears.  Just the front and back, and then 2 sails on the side rotors; that will avoid the clipping, like in the first image in the thread.  I admit, it does look a little goofy, but I also think it looks kinda cool.

I didn't realize until just now - despite hours in a test creative world just learning how windmill power works - that you could remove the large gear from the top if you don't run the vertical shaft down into the top of another large gear and instead do an elbow join with small gears into a large gear and not lose any torque.

Had I realized that, I might've made a mono-propeller design with a much narrower top and used two or three of them.  x_x  Or maybe not, because I kind of like not having to find a nice place for several widmills around my little tower.  :shrug:

Like this:
2021-10-27_11-06-15.thumb.png.942a2ab2a7b857c27fd5a51340472e40.png

Not this:

2021-10-27_11-01-37.thumb.png.1a15f87a77ada659e74f13c3808fed75.png

Of course, you can't split the first way nicely four ways like the second, but in my survival world, I'm not doing it quite like that anyway because of where my cellar is.

...don't judge my mock-ups too harshly, they're just gross representations of the principles, not refined designs.  XD

2 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

I won't be putting full 5-sails on all four gears.  Just the front and back, and then 2 sails on the side rotors; that will avoid the clipping, like in the first image in the thread.  I admit, it does look a little goofy, but I also think it looks kinda cool.

I didn't realize until just now - despite hours in a test creative world just learning how windmill power works - that you could remove the large gear from the top if you don't run the vertical shaft down into the top of another large gear and instead do an elbow join with small gears into a large gear and not lose any torque.

Had I realized that, I might've made a mono-propeller design with a much narrower top and used two or three of them.  x_x  Or maybe not, because I kind of like not having to find a nice place for several widmills around my little tower.  :shrug:

Well the idea to make it in different heights but in one spot was more or less aimed towards utilizing space and getting more bang for your buck.
You'd still have the same shape and all, with just an added layer on top of the tower that has an additional two rotors connected to a large wheel.
Because one mill would be enough to power one quern, but more querns will require more power.

Maybe I'll do that as my next project and see how to implement your designed tower into a several layer windmill build in my survival world..
(Mainly because I'll be bored quickly as winter JUST began.)

Yeah, I tinkered around with multi-layer windmill design, and I just didn't like the way it looked.  I thought the multi-sided windmill looked cooler.  Subjectivity is subjective.  XD

I do think I need to raise it a block or two, though, it looks a little strange being so short compared with my tower.  Also need to figure out what the fluff'n'stuff I'm going to *do* with the tower, now that it won't be the windmill as it was originally intended (mostly because running an axle down through the center of it would gonk up the cellar.

That's a good logic. The importance of any project is what you think of it yourself. Be it practical or efficient, or none of those, it's important that you like it, and making it in general. Keep up the good spirit!

Yeah.. Making it a bit taller would be good. You can always use it for you helve hammer. But you'd need to switch from the big axel to a small one in a single connection to increase its rotational speed otherwise the hammer will move at slug speed. Plus, height gives more wind power in general.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.