In world crafting

Screwy

How about this:

For simple crafting recipes of four (plus tools) components, you just have to place the four different items all on the same block, like in shelves but on the floor or workbench. Then you simply ctrl+rmb one of the items to craft the thing you want. Either with bare hands, or with the required tool, depending on the recipe.

This requires to be able to place a small stack of any item literally in every corner of the world 😅 

I would even suggest that you can choose the exact hit box of out of a relatively small voxel grid of may be 4x4x4. Then you could place items in the middle, on the sides and in the corners of each block. Some items would be bigger than others, or in other shapes. Each item involved in crafting would require a 3D model and a hit box size, which lines up with the grid of the "block class": "block-placed-item" or so. You could even stack Items on top of each other, like in piles. Might save some storage space in your baskets. I would love to see placed gems on custom chiseled shelves 😃

Crafting how ever will only work on solid ground (cobblestone or so) or on a workbench, which is craftable by ctrl+rmb on a table with a saw in main- and a hammer in the off-hand (or a hammer in main and a plank in off). The workbench would be required for more advanced recipes of may be more ingredients and may be crafting steps in between.

Bigger recipes could use more space in all three dimensions. Multi item piles are no problem for shelfs, so why is it for piles of things? And why don't use it for crafting? Just make a pile of mixed items, one bottom, one click with the right tool, one pop in your pocket. Simple as that! 

There was a mod several versions back that had a similar idea for certain crafts. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called and it had a ton of other features aside crafting, that are implemented even today in some degree.

Basically there was a chopping block that you needed to add logs to, and then visually chop at the block to make firewood. It was aesthetically appealing.
Another thing was a certain type of wall made of logs stacked atop one and other, like the type you'd see in a log cabin. But you needed to place the logs down and tie them together. Same idea, but also for slanted roofs.

I think  being able to craft in-game without a crafting grid gives some immersion as you have to physically do things to make something, rather than just put it in a grid and poop out new items.

I wouldn't necessarily say get rid of the grid entirely.. But perhaps implement it as an option at the start of making a world?
This way one part of a group that do like it, can use it.
And the other group that doesn't like it, because grid crafting is quicker and easier, can still use the grid of old.
This way you won't lose the interest of group B (The ones for the grid.) while sparking interest for group A (who like the immersive crafting).

• Like 1

The idea of in world crafting is litterally on the roadmap, so I guess something like this will be just the normal way to do things. If someone wishes back the good old days of inventory crafting, they could write a mod for this. It doesn't seem so hard to code something like this. Maybe I do a mod on this once I've learned C# 😅

19 hours ago, Windego said:

Basically there was a chopping block that you needed to add logs to, and then visually chop at the block to make firewood.

Is it that mod?

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/816

It is not that far back then. Version 1.14.10, that was in july.

Seems like a good start. An axe could be the basic tool to decompose stuff. But you should be abe to do it anywhere, by an "F-key menue" like whith the chisel or the prospecting pickaxe. Though you shouldn't do it on rocks, because the axe durability goes down faster. At least it would make sense.
To craft planks you just place a log on the ground and use a saw on it, which gives you two log slabs again like with the axe in the mod, this could be used to saw them into planks. If you want to craft plank blocks, you place some planks on the ground and use the hammer to craft a plank block. All with either ctrl-rightclick or the f-menue on the tools.
This could be a good way of reaching a big goal on the roadmap with a simple and easy to learn method.

It may have been that one, but i played with it back in 1.12 and 1.13. Though the one I played with did far, far more. It added burning pyres to keep wolves at bay, it increased wolf spawns and added "attract to carcass" to the wolf AI so you only had so much time to harvest the body before wolves came and took a share. You could pick up corpses because it was also compatible with carry capacity. You had a chance to harvest their fur for carpets and decoration.. Harvest various skulls.. You had to manually mine the remaining skeleton to get bones as it didn't naturally appear in the harvest grid. It also added naturally spawning brown clay and the lot.. It did quite a bit. But that mode, the one you showed me, looks a bit like it in terms of chopping.

3 minutes ago, Screwy said:

The idea of in world crafting is litterally on the roadmap, so I guess something like this will be just the normal way to do things. If someone wishes back the good old days of inventory crafting, they could write a mod for this. It doesn't seem so hard to code something like this. Maybe I do a mod on this once I've learned C# 😅

Is it that mod?

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/816

It is not that far back then. Version 1.14.10, that was in july.

Seems like a good start. An axe could be the basic tool to decompose stuff. But you should be abe to do it anywhere, by an "F-key menue" like whith the chisel or the prospecting pickaxe. Though you shouldn't do it on rocks, because the axe durability goes down faster. At least it would make sense.
To craft planks you just place a log on the ground and use a saw on it, which gives you two log slabs again like with the axe in the mod, this could be used to saw them into planks. If you want to craft plank blocks, you place some planks on the ground and use the hammer to craft a plank block. All with either ctrl-rightclick or the f-menue on the tools.
This could be a good way of reaching a big goal on the roadmap with a simple and easy to learn method.

The making planks with visually placing down the block sounds like a mod I played with in Minecraft. But there, you could also get planks, albeit in significantly smaller portions making it inefficient, with an axe via splitting as well.

Thinking of the old mod in question, it also forced you to visually place down tool heads and add a rod to it while it was on the ground. I don't remember there being a grid at all, but i could be mistaken.

So you describe a modpack.
Anyway, what do you think about viewing the placed items on the ground as items in a shelf? The crafting process could be viewed like the picking up your bowl from the shelf. Or does every kind of recipe need a different kind of animation to be fully immersive? That would be hard to do, espacialy for modders.

Oh no no, I wouldn't say every single craft would need to be physically done on the ground or table, or something of the sort. Arguably that would at some point become too tedious if it's even for the little things. But for things like chopping, one could view the block like a crafting table that has an internal storage of one stack of a given item.
As for turning logs into planks, we could think of a different 'crafting' station block. Instead of a log to chop firewood on.. You would use a wooden construct that's been used in the old medieval days of human civilization. A sawmill. In goes a stack of logs. Out comes a few stacks of planks. It could be operating via the use of rotational power, which is already implemented. Or, use it manually on an even more early game primitive version that's made of sticks and a log or two.

Because by the looks of things posted in the suggestions, a frequently suggested feature is automating lots of crafts.

The sawmill would for example need a long metal saw as part of its construction, similar to how the crusher needs heads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Screwy said:

So you describe a modpack.
Anyway, what do you think about viewing the placed items on the ground as items in a shelf? The crafting process could be viewed like the picking up your bowl from the shelf. Or does every kind of recipe need a different kind of animation to be fully immersive? That would be hard to do, espacialy for modders.

You mean be able to virtually place every single item on the ground, or on some sort of elaborate crafting table?
Like... What was it called. The crafting table of Tinkers Constructs of MC?
Or be able to dynamically interact with each craftable component?

Sorry I'm not the brightest pea in the pot so I often miss the point and have to re-read things to get it.

• 3 weeks later...

i think the crafting table from tinkers is kinda what was asked here, but it should be doable on any full block surface instead of having a blocktype for it?

that could bloat worlddata really fast as suddenly every block with a full block top surface would have an inventory (and that might even be the less ressource hungry option of implementing it, as the items on tinkers crafting table had no hit box, and was usable even if there was a block above it) but only if the block above it is air?

i do think that's not a bad idea, but for some things actually having to put all the items down and activate the recipe to craft the item can become tedious REALLY quick... just think about cobble stone blocks and if you'd have to activate the items on the workbench for every single block instead of being able to craft a whole stack at once. same with firewood, ladders...

I can see that mechanic working nicely for items you don't need that many of, like all tools that need assembly for example. and i think it would be a good way to just have a 1x2 crafting grid in the inventory to craft firewood, planks and such. i often use the crafting grid for storage on my way back from hunting/logging/mining, that definitely should be prevented at some point, maybe moving should drop everything that's in the grid? any log could be used for crafting simple stuff like cobble stone blocks, plank blocks and similar on a bigger grid (same like now just an interface added to logs if there is air above it and it's activated like one activates knapping)? and for more complex stuff you'd have to assemble a table from logs and sticks for example?

or any surface instead of a log, but when not interacting anymore everything gets dropped? i mean yes it would be nice to be able to decorate more but bloating i have several worlds/saves taking over 1GB each now already.

Edited by Hal13

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.