World file size

daretmavi

that's likely more or less impossible.

It may be possible to somehow calculate the world size of a fully generated world, but i guess there is no way to predict the worldsize once players played in it.

Why? In the worlddata inventories are saved too and chiseled blocks are likely to take up more diskspace than nonchiseled blocks (especially if they consist of more than one material) and playerdata is saved too and ... What i want to say is: There are too many variables, some are unpredictable.

Not sure how it would be done, but maybe fully generate a few different sized worlds, then double the space they need? That should give you a decent enough estimate on drivespace needed. And then scale that up to the available drivespace and you should have some buffer left no matter what players do on the world?

I'd guess in the end the worldsize should be comparable to Minecraft and Minecraft worlds file size can become REALLY big (last time we pruned it the server i play on had a world files worth 60GB, of course that includes end and nether hence i'd guess overworld alone would have been "only" around 25-35GB, in neither nether nor end there are many player builds and the big storagesystems, farms, trading halls etc are in the overworld too... of course i can't find the info anymore, it might have been only the overworld being 60GB big).

But it really boils down to how many players and how much exploration will be done/is needed... my singleplayer VS worlds only are a few GB big all together... I imagine if i'd played together with a handful of people in these worlds and we would build together instead of apart from each other, the sizes wouldn't really get much bigger, but if people venture out from spawn to everywhere and settle each player on their own, the sizes could easily multiply by the player count.

I'm not aware of the correct command (you might want to take a look at the servercommands, /wgen pregen [radius] seems like a good candidate) but you could take a few really tiny sized worlds (the smallest was only a few hundred blocks in each direction, right?), fly around in creative, generate it all that way, compare sizes, try estimate the size of the next bigger one by the numbers you have, do the same for the next bigger one... That might be more work, but if you're unlucky waiting for an answer here might take longer than doing that...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.