Map icon colours

Bastez

I think there should be a better way to choose map icon colours - having to type (or mistype!) the name of a colour, especially when time is limited or you're in a dangerous situation, is painful. Why not have say 16 colours that can be selected via a dropdown in the same way as the icons themselves? Surely that would give enough permutations....?

17 hours ago, Bastez said:

I think there should be a better way to choose map icon colours - having to type (or mistype!) the name of a colour, especially when time is limited or you're in a dangerous situation, is painful. Why not have say 16 colours that can be selected via a dropdown in the same way as the icons themselves? Surely that would give enough permutations....?

If you're in a precarious situation leaving colour blank defaults it to black, so when you're safe you can go back and colour it later.

A drop down box probably isn't the best idea and the current implementation for the icons as a drop down is not ideal either.
I'd prefer to see the icons implemented like the cave painting UI is implemented.
While a colour wheel/swatch/RGB sliders for colours. Leaving the optional words = colours too.

Currently you can use # codes for colours if you know what they are off the top of your head or use the link above but good luck with that haha!

I was looking into modding in new icons however have not been able to figure it out yet.

6 minutes ago, Philtre said:

I'd settle for a way to reassign the default color to something other than black. It's really hard to see on most terrain....

Being able to set default colour and default icon, that I would love as an option in vanilla!

Use this method by doing the command found on wiki but linking it to macros.

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Worldmap

/waypoint addati [icon] ~0 ~0 ~0 [pinned] [color] [title]

Possible Waypoints icons are: Circle, Bee, Cave, Home, Ladder, Pick, Rocks, Ruins, Spiral, Star1, Star2, Trader and Vessel.

1- do CTRL M

Write a label for the macro then find which key you wanna press.

Make sure the hotkey you choose isnt used by an other hotkey in the game.

This down would be the command i Enter to get an orange pickaxe waypoint exactly where i stand.

/waypoint addati pick ~0 ~0 ~0 false orange copper

5 hours ago, Philtre said:

I'd settle for a way to reassign the default color to something other than black. It's really hard to see on most terrain....

My thoughts exactly - red would be a better default as there's nothing in the map that colour (unlike say, white).

@AledarkThe problem with using macros is that you'd run out of keys pretty quickly given the number of possible permutations and you'd have to remember them.

An alternative to drop-downs would be to columns (or rows), one with icons, one with colours - ie a palette for each. You make a selection from each row and you're done. Advantages: you can see all the icons and colours at once, program logic is easy. Disadvantages: You'd have a more limited set of colours... but does anyone use more than a dozen?  If I was designing the UI for that window that's what I'd do.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.