Dying fruit trees/vernalization

Khornet

I've yet to get into planting a fruit tree orchard, but it's on my to-do list, so I read about it on the wiki, and I got a bit discouraged about the effort it takes to grow them, and also the info about their dying temperature.

-20°C is enough for a cherry tree to die? -22°C for a yellow apple tree? And this isn't dormancy, but death - if I understand correctly, that means your meticulously grown tree is now firewood. This seems a bit extreme to me, considering these temperatures are normal for a temperate climate area during winter nights. Wouldn't it make far more sense for the trees to die when they're exposed to such temperatures for a long duration - say, a couple of days at least?

And what is UP with the entire process of vernalization? If I understand it correctly, you basically have a narrow window during late winter/early spring (which means - planting trees only once an in-game year!) to plant your cuttings (25% survival of each by the way, sucks to be you if you want an organized/symmetrical orchard) so that they acclimatize during very specific temperatures? This all seems far too tedious - especially considering berry bushes do not require such meticulous management.

Edited by Jacob Kos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jacob Kos said:

And what is UP with the entire process of vernalization? If I understand it correctly, you basically have a narrow window during late winter/early spring (which means - planting trees only once an in-game year!) to plant your cuttings (25% survival of each by the way, sucks to be you if you want an organized/symmetrical orchard) so that they acclimatize during very specific temperatures? This all seems far too tedious - especially considering berry bushes do not require such meticulous management.

I think you misunderstood that. You can plant trees whenever you want. Vernalization just means that a tree will only bear fruit if it went through a winter season first. Nothing more, nothing less.

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I think you misunderstood that. You can plant trees whenever you want. Vernalization just means that a tree will only bear fruit if it went through a winter season first. Nothing more, nothing less.

But can you still plant them during the winter season? Specifically at its end, when temperatures are around 0°C ?
Also, there's still the threat of them just dying due to low temperatures anyways... is there any specific data how long it takes them to die, or is it instant, as in, the tree detects a temperature threshold and dies immediately?

Also, how long does it take for you to find out whether the tree grows after planting or fails (the 25% chance thing)?

I read the wiki page. It lacks information about how long it takes you to find out whether the 25% planting was succesful, and how quickly do trees die when they reach their low temperature thresholds. Which is why I am asking here.

EDIT: And while we're at it, I'd also like to confirm what this part of patch notes means:

Fixed: Fruit tree not fully respecting greenhouse benefits

Does this mean that the +5°C bonus applies for all temperature calculations, not just the vernalization one? As in, is it going to "boost" the temperature at all times for the purpose of calculating the tree's death/dormancy?

Edited by Jacob Kos

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.