Server fatal error

Iso
Go to solution Solved by Aledark,

My Vintage Story Survival Server (ran through GPortal) has been working great until recently. One of the issues I've just ran into is a "fatal error" that refuses to let my server start. The error code is as follows:

Fatal] You have configured a default group code suplayer but no such group exists! Killing server

I've tried accessing past backups, as well as restarting, with no success. This is the first time I've had such an issue. Server is unmodded, and no one has made any recent changes to server settings. This came out of nowhere. If anyone could point me in the right direction, or explain what is going on here, it would be much appreciated.

13 hours ago, Aledark said:

whats your serverconfig.json like? cause thats usually defined there.

Here it is. Obscured some of the server information

{
    "MaxClients": 5,
    "Ip": "************",
    "Port": *****,
    "ModPaths": [
        "Mods",
        "//home//sid_632030//vintageStory//Mods"
    ],
    "WorldConfig": {
        "SaveFileLocation": "//home//sid_632030//vintageStory//Saves//default.vcdbs",
        "Seed": 12324536,
        "WorldName": "Osowiec",
        "AllowCreativeMode": false,
        "PlayStyle": "surviveandbuild",
        "PlayStyleLangCode": "surviveandbuild-bands",
        "WorldType": "standard"
    },
    "ServerName": "Osowiec",
    "Password": "************",
    "ServerUrl": "https://g-portal.com",
    "ServerDescription": "G-Portal.com best Game Experience",
    "WelcomeMessage": "welcome to our server hosted by G-Portal.com",
    "AdvertiseServer": false,
    "DefaultRoleCode": "suplayer",
    "OnlyWhitelisted": false,
    "AntiAbuse": 0,
    "VerifyPlayerAuth": true,
    "AllowPvP": true,
    "AllowFireSpread": true,
    "AllowFallingBlocks": true
}

I've tried changing the Default Role Code, no difference.

Edited by Iso

Nothing yet. I’ve dove into any server code I could access using an FTP to see if I could locate any anomalies, but nothing has come of it. Server config seems normal when compared to the example in the vintage story wiki, and all that I’m getting from any of the logs is “Fatal] You have configured a default group code suplayer but no such group exists! Killing server 

I can’t think of a single thing I could do at this point other than delete our game saves and see if that at least lets the server start. I’m waiting to see if anything comes of this post before I resort to such drastic measures. Losing our world would also be devastating. 

Edit: I attempted to download the world save from the server twice, but the file didn’t transfer properly both times. It came back “unavailable”. It’s the only file that it has happened to thusfar. It may be an issue with that file itself. Not sure if theres a way to get into it or not, it has the file extension “.vcdbs” IIRC

Edited by Iso

• Solution

See attachment but the serverconfig.json should have the defined suplayer role in the serverconfig.json of your server

such as:

{
      "Code": "suplayer",
      "Name": "Survival Player",
      "Description": "Can use/place/break blocks in unprotected areas (priv level 0), create/manage player groups and chat. Can claim an area of up to 8 chunks.",
      "PrivilegeLevel": 0,
      "DefaultSpawn": null,
      "ForcedSpawn": null,
      "Privileges": [
        "controlplayergroups",
        "manageplayergroups",
        "chat",
        "areamodify",
        "build",
        "useblock",
        "attackcreatures",
        "attackplayers"
      ],
      "RuntimePrivileges": [],
      "DefaultGameMode": 1,
      "Color": "White",
      "LandClaimAllowance": 262144,
      "LandClaimMinSize": {
        "X": 5,
        "Y": 5,
        "Z": 5
      },
      "LandClaimMaxAreas": 3,
      "AutoGrant": false
    },

serverconfig.json

Edited by Aledark
additional info

Solved! Though, it did cost me another server, lol.

So, after exhausting all other choices, I decided to purchase a new server and MAYBE salvage our old server save file, uploading it to the new server. Well, not only did that work, I came across the issue that killed our old server. I compared server configs between the two, and found that our old server config had almost no information on it. I didn't realize that each role code (suplayer, crplayer, sumod, etc) is supposed to be individually defined within the config, as well as plenty more information. I have no clue what happened to the old config, but it only had like 30 lines of code as opposed to the 336 that our new server had.

Edited by Iso

1 hour ago, Aledark said:

See attachment but the serverconfig.json should have the defined suplayer role in the serverconfig.json of your server

I didn't see this response until after purchasing a replacement server, making this discovery 20 minutes ago, and after typing up my discovery reply. Wish I had seen this before, lol. That would have saved me hours of trouble trying to figure this out

Edited by Iso

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.