Roads slowly increase player's speed from 1.2 to e.g. 5 or 10

heptagonrus

Currently roads made of path blocks increase player speed 1.2 times. This is quite good and noticeable, but feels not enough, I don't feel getting a good reward after all the labor.
For long distances the time is still quite long.

E.g. on the chrometech server I live about 500 blocks from Spawn and when I need to run there or to another player through Spawn, I don't like it because it is a long routine run.
I cringe a bit every time I think about it.

I.e. when I build a road I do it to choose a less worse variant, not because I want to get something nice and comfortable into the gameplay. To get less pain instead of replacing an early routine gameplay mechanics with something end-game enjoyable.

I would like roads to be something which gives me enjoyment each time I use it and makes me feel proud of all the labor I invested. Or make me feel grateful to the road builder each time.

This can be achieved e.g. by making the road speed multiplier dynamic, slowly increasing when you are on the road, up to much significant value.
Thus you will have no problems when just crossing the road, and will get a nice speed boost when really traveling far.

Also this hopefully will increase number of roads on servers, e.g. I would consider building roads to specific stone type quarries. And in future to specific wood time high-efficient tree farms, if trees growth will be limited by biome.

Ofc in future transport mechanics might be more diverse and sophisticated, e.g. carts, horses, etc. Maybe until it is implemented addition of dynamic speed multiplier can make server interactions more enjoyable.

Archived