Storage Overhaul

Balduranne

Hey, I can play the game again!

I think the biggest issue VS has right now is storage shortage, especially in early game. There's an awful lot of items to pick up, and unless you know what you're doing in early game, you'll run out of space very quickly.

So why not allow the player to just put things down? It would make sense for many resources, like rocks, sticks, leather. Allow for making stacks the same way we can do with ingots and firewood.

Why use chests then?

For one, a chest can store more items per block, and possibly larger stacks than the stockpile method. You also wouldn't put everything on the floor, or it might get swept up by wind or get contaminated (Feathers, grass, seeds, grain). Chests would also still be used for block storage.

Specialized storage

While we're at it, we could expand the variety of storage blocks/furniture we have - It would make more sense to have sacks, jars and maybe bigger wicker baskets to store certain things that wouldn't go on the ground. Storage like this could either use a 'regular' inventory, or they could accept only one type of item in larger quantities.

That way, you could have a storage room with sacks of flour, grain, feathers and what have you. Jars could store liquids, baskets would hold fruit/vegetables, while barrels would serve as vegetable storage.

Besides extending the ability to store things, I think it would add a really cool aesthetic to storage rooms, instead of just having lines of chests against the wall.

Admittedly, I didn't mention meat in any of this - Depending on how spoiling/preserving mechanics are implemented, meat could be stored safely in a cellar/cold room (After being preserved), or hanf from hooks.

Other uses

When drying mechanics are implemented, the stockpile mechanic can be used to dry meat into jerky, mud bricks for construction, or leather for tanning.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:58 PM, Balduranne said:

Specialized storage

While we're at it, we could expand the variety of storage blocks/furniture we have - It would make more sense to have sacks, jars and maybe bigger wicker baskets to store certain things that wouldn't go on the ground. Storage like this could either use a 'regular' inventory, or they could accept only one type of item in larger quantities.

Indeed - There are already parts of a mechanism to do this, with the Run/Sneak-Clicking of wood piles or fires, a BULK STORAGE type for one specific item type. This would need an entirely NEW storage behaviour class(s) / entity code - I would probably model it on the similar mine-craft "drawers" mod.

Clay Storage: https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/725-v010-storage-bin-for-vs-18x/

Archived