Angry Traders/Wagons Without Protection

Marlim

My proposal is that they remove the protection present in the game's wagons. And if the player damages/breaks any block of the wagon, the merchant gets angry and refuses to trade with you or tries to kill you.
This would give the player a greater sense of freedom and immersion and also make the interaction with the merchant more dynamic. Remembering that this is an open world sandbox game.
Just an idea to think about, and maybe improve on.

• Like 2

This is a fine idea but the problem with this is that a crafty player could easily acquire items they aren't supposed to have yet in the early game with little-to-no effort. Even if the merchants become hostile they can always just pillar up above them to a place the AI can't get to and mine from safety, or kite the NPC around while slowly whittling down their little wagon. 

I personally am hoping they eventually get rid of the traders, or at least make them actually move around the world because their little carts have wheels on them. I think having other people present in the world sort of kills the lonely vibe of the game. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, mew_ said:

I personally am hoping they eventually get rid of the traders, or at least make them actually move around the world because their little carts have wheels on them. I think having other people present in the world sort of kills the lonely vibe of the game.

You may not like what is written on the roadmap: Villagers (and therefore villages)

You may enjoy the mod Trader Camps as it reduces the over all trader positions, but adds the chance for several traders to spawn grouped together.

Back to topic:

1 hour ago, Marlim said:

This would give the player a greater sense of freedom and immersion and also make the interaction with the merchant more dynamic.

Trader carts do consist partially of blocks not obtainable in vanilla and Traders respawn like Seraphs (it only takes longer for them), as such it makes sense they are able to claim the area their cart is in the same way Seraphs can claim areas too. Give Traders a ranged attack like drifters have gotten and the abilities to climb ladders, open/close doors and open/close fence gates and you wouldn't want to anger them anymore.

Though the game does generate carts without Trader occasionally, removing the claim from those would make sense in my eyes...

Edited by Hal13

43 minutes ago, Hal13 said:

You may not like what is written on the roadmap: Villagers (and therefore villages)

I saw this, and I'm hoping it means that the player is able to create villages and not that villages will spawn randomly dotted throughout the world. If you are playing as a seraph you should be the one to create something from nothing. 

44 minutes ago, Hal13 said:

You may enjoy the mod Trader Camps as it reduces the over all trader positions, but adds the chance for several traders to spawn grouped together.

I'll have to check this out, I like the idea of traders gathering in small locations rather than just scattering around the world, makes the whole stock replenishment timer make more sense. 

8 minutes ago, mew_ said:

I'm hoping it means that the player is able to create villages and not that villages will spawn randomly dotted throughout the world

At a past point villages were mentioned under world generation, I was surprised to not see it there anymore, as it had sparked quite some discussions about how frequent and how big npc settlements would make sense, maybe now the feature is planned more like in Starbound with homes the player has to build and if the requirements for a home are met and a deed is placed inside someone will move in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal13 said:

Trader carts do consist partially of blocks not obtainable in vanilla and Traders respawn like Seraphs (it only takes longer for them)

2 hours ago, mew_ said:

This is a fine idea but the problem with this is that a crafty player could easily acquire items they aren't supposed to have yet in the early game with little-to-no effort.

To solve this, just make sure that the broken blocks are not dropped and that the merchant when dying does not respawn, or just respawns with a medicine. It doesn't have to be that way, there must be more ways to solve this problem.
My english is not good.

Edited by Marlim

1 hour ago, Marlim said:

To solve this, just make sure that the broken blocks are not dropped and that the merchant when dying does not respawn, or just respawns with a medicine. It doesn't have to be that way, there must be more ways to solve this problem.

Yes, but altering something that is vanilla and makes sense game lore and game mechanic wise, is the territory of mods. Instead of not dropping, those blocks should be craft- or at least obtainable elsewhere at latest in mid game. And we know Seraphs did bring innovation to the people before the fall, as such might have a knack on that long gone ages tech, but there is no reason to believe the Traders species couldn't use it, after all they did in the past.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 9:06 PM, Hal13 said:

Yes, but altering something that is vanilla and makes sense game lore and game mechanic wise, is the territory of mods. Instead of not dropping, those blocks should be craft- or at least obtainable elsewhere at latest in mid game. And we know Seraphs did bring innovation to the people before the fall, as such might have a knack on that long gone ages tech, but there is no reason to believe the Traders species couldn't use it, after all they did in the past.

I didn't understand the connection with my answer, maybe the translation got in the way of understanding

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.