Are there barren biomes where grass won't spawn?

Ezra
Go to solution Solved by Hells Razer,

So usually, anytime there is a stray soil block placed it will start changing texture to 'grassy'. But it looks like there are 'biomes' or something where this doesn't happen? I put down a fairly large plot of soil blocks over some hilly slate gravel area and there's no sign of green on them yet. Is this a thing or am I lacking in patience? Do I need to water the soil?

I think your plot needs to be connected to some already existing grass block.

The Wiki says :

Grass spreads from grassy blocks onto bare soil blocks as the climate allows, while grass blocks lacking sunlight lose the grass and may revert to bare soil blocks.

Since your in a gravel/sand area there must be almost no rain or no rain at all, so it doesn't help.

i don't really know if irrigating them will do the trick but you might have to do a bridge if soil to somechere with grass blocks, tho it might not work since you're in an area without a lot of rain.

Soil won't grow grass even if irrigated/rained on. You have to connect it to other soil blocks with grass on it, tried with and without soil next to it and the one alone didn't grow grass.

Since you've already tried to connect your plot to grass blocks which failed then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do in that area.

• Solution
20 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

On my first playthrough, these is a biome just to the north of me, where only pines grow on top of of chert sand. There is no grass whatsoever.

That is a desert, it took me a while to realise but deserts in the game do not look like what we have been trained to expect them to look like from other video games, especially colour-wise. They come in a full range of colours, dependent on what material is the top stone layer made of.

Generally speaking if you can see only see sand and/or gravel dotted with boulders and stones, with very little vegetation, and when checking rainfall it says low or none that tends to be a desert. Another big hint are sandstorms, which make visibility go bye bye and everything around you takes the colour of the sand beneath your feet. It is pretty neat to see. Or not see as the case may be.

9 hours ago, Hells Razer said:

That is a desert, it took me a while to realise but deserts in the game do not look like what we have been trained to expect them to look like from other video games, especially colour-wise. They come in a full range of colours, dependent on what material is the top stone layer made of.

Generally speaking if you can see only see sand and/or gravel dotted with boulders and stones, with very little vegetation, and when checking rainfall it says low or none that tends to be a desert. Another big hint are sandstorms, which make visibility go bye bye and everything around you takes the colour of the sand beneath your feet. It is pretty neat to see. Or not see as the case may be.

I know, I was just answering OP's question.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.