Raw (Chicken) Poultry is Useless even if imediatly cook some thing with it it goes bad so quickly

Friskain

any fresh meat - fish, red and poultry - lasts only for 1.5 days in open air (your inventory).

Cellar could improve it towards ~5days (for temperate climate the spoilage rate in cellar should be ~0.26).

Any cooked food uses its ingredients' spoilage status for starting spoilage time. So if you don't cook it immediately - it is proportional to that <1.5 days of the meat in it.

Yet is is much higher than raw meat/fish/poultry.

And it should be stored in cellar as well.

• Like 1

That's the second stage: crocks and sealing with wax/fat, stored on shelves in cellar.

The third stage is to make salted poultry/meat so that it is stored for 12 years in cellar and could be used in meals at any stage.

Last stage - grow soybeans and store it in the cellar almost forever.

Bottom line: cellar is a must.

Protein component storage is meals in crocks and/or salted meat and/or soybeans.

Veggies component storage: meals in crocks and/or long lasting veggies like onions and cabbages in vessels

Fruits: honey (forever), fruit tree' fruits like pears and apples in vessels, berry jams in crocks (this one is tricky as it requires to be cooked and sealed in an hour or two from harvest time to hold up 12 years as needed).

Dairy: cheddar cheese on shelves.

Grains: just as grains in vessels, and prepare breads and pies upon a need.

All this guarantees full food bars throughout the year - summer or winter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Friskain said:

Today i killed a bunch of my chickens but the meat is only fresh for 1.5 days
I cooked some food with it but that wont even last more then  2 days
I find it totally useless 

Whats your take on that???

As others have mentioned, seals crocks in cellars (especially if you put the sealed crock in a storage vessel in the cellar) will greatly expand your meals' shelf lives. However, until you have access to that, the best thing to do is to only cull your animals/harvest your crops when you are almost empty on satiety, so you can go ahead and gobble it up right away. Salt curing is useful once you have a bountiful amount of salt, but depending on your seed luck, that may take some time to get in vanilla as well. Salted meat in a storage vessel in a cellar will last you many years.

All that said, poultry is also not super great anyway. You get very little of it from chickens compared to the amount of red meat you get from pigs and sheep, and the protein value of the poultry is also pretty low compared to red meat. Once I get chickens to generation 10, I usually stop culling them altogether and just use them for eggs. If you happen to use the Expanded Foods mod, using poultry for meat broth isn't a bad a option, though.

Mini-cellar: burry a vessel into one block hole and cover it with a stair block upside down. Or a slab in upper position. Once the vessel shows 0.26 for other types of foods - it is considered as being in cellar.

So no need to have a pickaxe to have a cellar.

32 minutes ago, BenLi said:

Mini-cellar: burry a vessel into one block hole and cover it with a stair block upside down. Or a slab in upper position.

This. Even a dirt block works to seal it up. You can place three storage vessels under the wall of your mud hut and access them all by removing a single block from the floor, which is plenty of food storage until you can make up a proper cobblestone cellar. With a little imagination, you can have up to 14 storage vessels accessible by removing a single block.

Important note to avoid drifter spawning shenanigans:
Raw stone blocks (what caves are made of), cobblestone, and dirt are considered "natural cave walls" by the game.
That means that if your cellar is more than 50% made of these materials it will count as a natural cave instead of a cellar and will be subject to cave spawning rules in regards to drifters.
The simplest way to check if your cellar counts as a cave is wait until above ground music starts playing and then enter your cellar. If it stops abruptly and/or starts playing the creepy underground music then you do not have a cellar (or room for that matter), but an artificial cave.

Oh also, your cellar cannot be larger than 7x7x7.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.