The character is holding the bow wrong

NastyFlytrap

If the character we're playing as is right handed then the top of the bow should be tilted towards the hand they are holding it with, not in the opposite direction.
Basically, if you're left handed, you're holding the bow with your left hand, tilting its top to the left, the arm you're holding it with, and you pull the tendon with your right hand
If you're right handed, you hold the bow with your right hand, tilt the top of the bow to the right 'thereby letting it rest on your arm', and you pull the tendon with your left hand

Source: I practiced archery for some years

I'd expect the character to hold the bow properly in an uncompromising hardcore survival game

Also, pls gib option to make character left handed after you fixed the animation

Right now we hold the bow as if we were left handed, in that the bow is in our right arm and we pull the string with our left, a right handed archer would hold the bow in the left hand and pull with the right hand. I don't know what you are talking about in much of this, I would assume english may not be your first language but I have never seen any archery style where you rest the bow on your arms, unless you are trying to describe canting the bow to one side or the other. Typically a bow held in the left hand and drawn with the right is canted so the top limb is to the right, and a bow held in the right hand and pulled with the left hand is canted to the left, but only if you are canting the bow (leaning it to the side as you aim and shoot) and not just shooting with the bow vertical. I don't know what style of archery you did, but there are many styles and variations out there. For right now, the bow animation is fine except that our character is right handed and we shoot a bow as if we were left handed (bow held in right hand). 

Source: also an archer. 

• Like 1
  • Amazing! 1

26 minutes ago, Ogi Teh yeti said:

Right now we hold the bow as if we were left handed, in that the bow is in our right arm and we pull the string with our left, a right handed archer would hold the bow in the left hand and pull with the right hand. I don't know what you are talking about in much of this, I would assume english may not be your first language but I have never seen any archery style where you rest the bow on your arms, unless you are trying to describe canting the bow to one side or the other. Typically a bow held in the left hand and drawn with the right is canted so the top limb is to the right, and a bow held in the right hand and pulled with the left hand is canted to the left, but only if you are canting the bow (leaning it to the side as you aim and shoot) and not just shooting with the bow vertical. I don't know what style of archery you did, but there are many styles and variations out there. For right now, the bow animation is fine except that our character is right handed and we shoot a bow as if we were left handed (bow held in right hand). 

Source: also an archer. 

Yea, i messed up my explanation thats for sure, but basically, if you're holding the bow with your right hand l ike in the game the top half of the bow should lean towards the right, not the left. The way they are holding it right now is very awkward and clumsy

How you draw your bow is determined by your dominant eye rather than your dominant hand.  You want to be looking down the arrow with your strongest eye basically.

While most people do share hand dominance with their eye, its not that uncommon to be right handed but left eyed. 

The way the characters handle the bow isn't wrong, just a little statistically unlikely.

Also if you find that you suck with anything that involves longer distance accuracy IRL like golf, archery, shooting, baseball pitching, even hockey, you might be cross dominant and using the incorrect hand.  You can actually test your eye dominance at home: https://www.allaboutvision.com/resources/dominant-eye-test.htm

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassandra Burton said:

How you draw your bow is determined by your dominant eye rather than your dominant hand.  You want to be looking down the arrow with your strongest eye basically.

While most people do share hand dominance with their eye, its not that uncommon to be right handed but left eyed. 

The way the characters handle the bow isn't wrong, just a little statistically unlikely.

Also if you find that you suck with anything that involves longer distance accuracy IRL like golf, archery, shooting, baseball pitching, even hockey, you might be cross dominant and using the incorrect hand.  You can actually test your eye dominance at home: https://www.allaboutvision.com/resources/dominant-eye-test.htm

Well, i guess i learned something today

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 6:56 PM, Cassandra Burton said:

Also, i tried figuring out which eye of mine is dominant and apparently neither of them are

I suppose that explains why i could never figure out if i wanted to hold my bow with the left or right hand, and therefore i just learned how to do it with both

Edited by NastyFlytrap
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.