Deactivated Eidolon Feedback

Gravity Games

MAJOR SPOILERS for the Resonance Archives. Be warned!

After taking on the Archives and defeating the Eidolon, I decided I had some feedback to give on the boss.
First of all, and probably the thing that irked me the most: The arena.
The rubble makes sense for the structure and the collapsed entrance, but it was a massive hassle to deal with during the fight. I found it annoying to deal with. The attacks themselves aren't too bad, but limited space and especially those arena obstacles made it kind of a chore to avoid them.
Secondly, the attacks themselves. It could use a little variety, but it's not like it's a modded Terraria boss or something. I think the attacks themselves are fine. I will mention that having both locusts and the boss on you at once is a bit overwhelming. I would recommend making the locusts into corrupt ones, but reduce the frequency at which the boss attacks based on how many are alive. This way avoiding the locusts and boss simultaneously would be more balanced while also encouraging you to take out the locusts more.
Overall I enjoyed the fight, but a few quirks made it a little annoying. Had I not set my spawn outside the Archives, it would have taken me absolutely ages to take it down. The reward of getting into the library afterwards is wholly worth it, especially when accompanied with that amazing song as you step inside. That's not even mentioning the free gears and metal parts. Do with my feedback what you will; and I hope to see some improvements!

I see where youre coming from, but i disagree. 

Note: This is an extremely long post.

Spoiler

The room the Eidolon is in wasnt built as an arena, i believe it's stated in a scroll or book somewhere that the Eidolon is a maintenance robot and knowing that a furnace room is whats on the other side, it seems like the room we fight it in is a maintenance/storage room (as an aside, the furnace room leads into the ground floor of the library, which is weird, because why would it be designed that way?  Sure the main enterance to the library is two floors above, but the library is clearly laid out as to feel like the first floor is really where people entered it, all majestic and with the resonator front and center.  It feels too important for the enterance to be through some furnace room.  And the view from the actual main enterance is really lacking in comparison.  I feel a little bit of a lore disconnect in how the library was laid out by the devs, its obvious it was to give the player the full effect of seeing the library for the first time, but lore wise it's weird that it was laid out so well for some maintenance guy coming in from the furnace room lol.  Maybe the furnace was moved after the place was built and the Eidolon's room had a more appropriate purpose?).

The rubble is of course consistent with the rest of the dungeon as you said but the size of the room is fine.  The rubble and cramped space are probably part of the challenge.  And itd be lame just to have some massive open space that was obviously a contrivance for a boss fight.  Like playing kingdom hearts or ff7:r and being able to tell from a mile away that theres a cutscene and a boss coimng up from the lazy and poor environmental design.  You'd see an empty circular clearing devoid of any design or flavor and youd be like, "ugh. i know what this is for."  When a dev takes the player out of the game and makes it obvious that the enviornment is being used as a mechanical tool and not work of art, its just really bad design all around.  What the devs did here is very good.  The room is both lore and mechanics rich. 

And most of the room isnt even neccassary for the fight.  I always just use one corner with a pillar between me and the boss.  You really dont need to move very far to dodge the falling rubble attack.  It just targets wherever youre standing when the boss slams its fists into the ground and a couple of other random spots.  Just move over a couple of feet, take a few bow shots, and move back behind the pillar to protect from a rock throw.

The fight is extremely easy once you get the pattern down and if you use a pillar for cover.  Its a fight of attrition not really one of skill.  I agree that the boss should have more attacks but its an ancient crushed maintenance robot.  Its not only not made for combat but its a miracle that it can even move in the first place lol.  And its toughness is of course due to it being made out of metal.  It works well and its kinda sad and somber, cause youre just kinda beating on it for a long time, its confused and corrupted, and its almost completely helpless.

With iron chain armor i dont even need to pay any attention to the locusts at all until the Eidolon is taken out.  Ill MAYBE have to heal one more time but if youre not going in with at least a stack of poultices in the first place I doubt you'd win anyway lol.

If youre having trouble with scaling the rubble, check if you have auto jump on in the settings if this game has it.  Might help a bit.  You NEED at least mid game (bronze/iron) armor for this boss.  Its meant to whittle you away slowly over a long period of time and not having armor equipped is just not worth the time youre saving by not crafting it.  You're gonna burn through several stacks of poultices AND food trying to no armor this thing.  Armor is incredibly important but dont wear it unless youre expecting combat since the debuffs you get while wearing it can be intense (especially the hunger one, yikes).

Oh yeah, and if you dont know this boss is farmable and keeps its full loot table.  I dunno how long it takes for it to respawn but I built my main base close to it and I farm it about once every in game week.  The farmable drops trivialize both temporal gear rarity and literally ALL tradable goods (via the gears) very quickly.  My house is completely stuffed with artisianal furniture, clothing, and im swimming in fabric, charcoal, arrows, ect.

So get a full set of bronze chain or better armor.  Buy the bow that only hunter class can make from a survival (i think) trader.  Its the best one, is cheap, and lasts forever.  Iron or better arrows, two stacks at least.  Stack of the best poultices you can manage.  Plenty of food.  And turn auto jump on.  All that will trivilize the fight and make it easily farmable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.