Rifts and temporal activity

SunshineFaith
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

New player, 

When I pick a spot to build my first base I see it is calm and there are no rifts nearby that I can see.  Why all of a sudden do they start appearing near my base?  One time it was so close I couldn't  go in my base as I was in the rift.  Is there a way to avoid them being that close?  

• Solution

Rift weather changes over time. Sometimes it'll be calm, sometimes it'll be medium, sometimes it'll be apocalyptic. That's just how it goes. It's also a global thing, independent of location. That means no location is more or less safe than any other.

Rifts are generated within a certain donut-shaped area around your player character's position in the game, up to a cap. If you move, then the area moves with you, but existing rifts stay where they are; thus, they will no longer be in the area, and so the game will spawn you new ones that are.

Rifts will no spawn if block light in the randomly-chosen location is above a certain level. In other words: light up your base. Not just inside, but also outside. Of course, that only really becomes realistic once you can mass-produce lanterns or torch holders. Until then? Well, rifts are going to be part of your life.

There is also an endgame device that will not allow rifts to exist within a certain area around itself, so you can use that instead of spreading lanterns all over the countryside. But when I say endgame, I do mean it. It's one of the final things you ever gain access to.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.