Penalty for water/winter

I would be surprised if no one suggested this, but there IMO should be a penalty for getting wet at lower outdoor temperatures. Could be something like getting wet in wintertime/swimming would make your bodytemp drop at a relatively much higher rate than otherwise, could also be implemented with rain/snow maybe. 

Implementing this wintertime would force the player to change playstyle, trying to avoid swimming but instead walk around etc.

Edited by Öyvind Lauritzen
  • Like 1

no surprise, it is in the game to a degree (bad pun sorry)

clothing has a warmth value (not armor), and adds together.

the player can also become soaking wet from swimming that further affect the cold condition

walking on snow covered ground also hinders travel

12 hours ago, idiomcritter said:

no surprise, it is in the game to a degree (bad pun sorry)

clothing has a warmth value (not armor), and adds together.

the player can also become soaking wet from swimming that further affect the cold condition

walking on snow covered ground also hinders travel

But it can't affect that much, I've played this game quite a lot most likely way over 1000 hours at this point, but I've never thought of avoiding water at wintertime when going outdoors gathering food or whatever. I have obviously seen the 'wet' notice, but can say that I ever noticed a difference.

I see.  So the desire is to amp up the effects already in place, cause the body temperature to be lowered quicker, make walking on snow increasingly harder (snowshoes?)?  

I know that in early game (first game year usually), its more an issue with cloths in disrepair.  Reaching the point where fur and wool clothing in best repair can be obtained, then pretty much nullifies the debuffs.  

When creating a map, never took a close look to see if some of those parameters were adjustable, ie make clothing wear out sooner, or the winter elements harsher.... 

6 hours ago, Öyvind Lauritzen said:

But it can't affect that much, I've played this game quite a lot most likely way over 1000 hours at this point, but I've never thought of avoiding water at wintertime when going outdoors gathering food or whatever. I have obviously seen the 'wet' notice, but can say that I ever noticed a difference.

There is pretty massive wetness debuff. In 1.18, it's up to 9C. In 1.19, it's up to 13.5C.

If you are interested in the mechanics:

https://github.com/anegostudios/vssurvivalmod/blob/master/Entity/Behavior/BehaviorBodyTemperature.cs#L254

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.