v1.19.0 Dejank Redux - Stable!

Tyron

On 2/13/2024 at 1:50 PM, Narcosis said:

Speaking of which - are there any plans on some minor ambiance/atmosphere improvements? Playing yesterday reminded me how beautiful this game is and the only small thing I find missing is actual cloud shadows. I'd love to see those fields basked in flowing sunlight and shade running over the ground and I bet I'd greatly improve the ambiance. Would it be something difficult to even consider implementing or more a matter of being tricky to implement without greatly impairing current performance?

Oh, I'd love to do some game juice updates in 1.20 yes, not related to clouds though.

@Tyron  Would it be easy to add some ambient environment sounds not tied to critters?  Things like different bird song for forests, plains, etc or water dripping in caves.  I think adding some ambient sounds would bring a new level of life and immersion to the already wonderful world you and the devs have created.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 2:32 PM, Maelstrom said:

@Tyron  Would it be easy to add some ambient environment sounds not tied to critters?  Things like different bird song for forests, plains, etc or water dripping in caves.  I think adding some ambient sounds would bring a new level of life and immersion to the already wonderful world you and the devs have created.

On 2/15/2024 at 3:18 PM, Tyron said:

We'd like to produce animal sounds only from actual existing in-world animals

Ambiance scapes based on the vicinity/amount of particular block types/biomes would be the best solution here, I'd say; it works similar to reactive music with difference here you stack ambient sound loops in varying intensity and power - the stronger the "presence" and the closer you get, the more soundwaves are both played and layered on top of each other. I'm not certain how VS is built, but afaik it doesn't really use "biomes" as information output but a couple different factors like temperature, precipitation, amount of rain, aridness, wind etc. These should be enough to create waveform tables which could serve as basis to tell the game what kind of soundscapes it should be playing at the right moment. Give it a try, I'd love this game to finally breathe with life, as it's been the one thing it has seriously missing; there are some basic sounds and they're great, but game does indeed lack the proper sound ambiance.

Another thing you really need to consider is adding actual animal sounds - mainly footsteps/breathing for large creatures/etc to indicate animal/creature presence. I've lost the count how many times I've run straight into a bear without it even knowing it was there because it makes little to no actual sounds aside from a random groan here and there. Most creatures make "angry" sounds already when they're targetting you and for a lot of players it might be already too late by then. I bet it's probably one of the reasons for the past bear frustration, people simply weren't able to properly spot them in time.

I remember one of the minecraft sound mods - MAtmos, I think - did a fantastic job with creating ambiance back in the old days and did so by reading the amount of block types around, amongst other things. Might be worth looking into.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.