Mouse/looking not working on macOS

Richard70nl

Hello all,

I just bought the game and installed it on macOS. In the main menu mouse clicks are not always registering. But more important, when I start a game the mouse only works when a dialog is open. But otherwise no mouse movement will have any effect on looking in any direction. In other words, I can only walk using WSDA, but no turning by mouse.

• if I'm not in in full screen mode the macOS dock will appear on top of the game window.
  • if I'm in full screen mode then nothing happens when I move the mouse.

I do notice that both left and right clicks are working and also the scroll wheel is working, just not the moving (looking).

My setup:

• iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
  • macOS Mojave v10.14.6
  • Vintage Story v1.10.12
  • I also (manually) tried mono version v5.16.0 and v6.0.0 (latest) all with the same outcome.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard70nl

Hm, there's one thing we could try. In Version 1.8 I've fixed a lot of issues on mac os. You could try version 1.7, version 1.8 and version 1.9 of the game and see if the bug persists. Then at least we would know its caused by something I did recently.

You can get past versions on the game account manager

• Like 1

Hi Tyron,

Sorry that it took so long but I think (for now) I found the issue. I'm not using the Magic Mouse of Apple but a Logitech Trackball. It took me a while to find my mouse but the game works fine with the mouse, not the trackball. Sorry I can't be much of help, the mouses of Apple are seriously flawed in my perspective hence the trackball. This is the first app that does not work with it.

Is the mouse algorithm something you wrote yourself or is it part of a library you use?

Cheers,

Richard

• Thanks 1

Oh, glad to hear that you got it resolved. No the mouse input system is not written by me, its handled by a third party library called OpenTK, which however had not so great MacOS support, I spent *a lot* of time fixing even worse mac os related bugs in that library. These changes have been added to version 3.1 of OpenTK. But yes, still more issues to resolve.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Since Vintage Story version 1.14.8, mouse support for Mac and for Linux / Wayland is improved - should be generally working.

On a Mac, it's recommended to update the Mac OS to at least Catalina (or Big Sur which is more recent), and then in the Input Monitoring setting allow sh input monitoring.

(There can still be issues for some people using external trackpads or secondary mice, there's not much we can do about that until those are supported better by the libraries VS uses; or there's always a chance someone in our awesome community is a Mac OS genius and can produce a fix...)

Edited by radfast
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.