Wool and Restoring Ancient Clothing

ifoz

We have sheep, we have shears, we have woollen clothing, but these three things are not interlinked!
I propose the idea of being able to shear sheep for their wool, and then being able to use it for special wool clothes.

EDIT: I have been told that bighorn sheep are not able to produce much wool. Perhaps wool could be sold by clothing traders instead.

The already existing woollen clothes could be craftable, but the tailor class would also be able to make some special woollen clothes that are 0.5 degrees warmer than the fur set. (Since the fur set is craftable by everyone and still excels the warmth of most tailor clothes.)

Sheep would be shearable after the third generation to incentivise breeding and domestication, as well as reasoning why these new woollen clothes would be better than the fur set as this would make them considerably harder to get.

There's also the chance to add some more mostly cosmetic woollen clothing too with this whole new material to work with, though here I am just proposing woollen coats and such as if I were to propose that you could simply "add more clothes" I would prefer to provide designs as it is too broad and vague of a statement.

---------------------------------------

To accommodate for the fact that bighorn sheep do not produce much wool, perhaps the Tailor could instead create restored versions of all those "tattered" and "dirty" types of clothes.
I think this would be a fun way to further incentivise exploration, and give the Tailor some cool options for warm winter clothes.
(I do not mean 'tattered' in terms of condition, rather in name. Clothes like the tattered crimson tunic that are permanently and visibly tattered no matter the condition stat.)

What does everyone else think of this? I just thought it was a cool idea. :)

Edited by ifoz
Re-write.

1 hour ago, Malnaur said:

Unfortunately, bighorn sheep are not fluffy. But there is obviously wool from somewhere since woolen pants exist.

My bad, I'll change the post to accommodate this. Thank you for letting me know! :)

• ifoz changed the title to Wool and Restoring Ancient Clothing

I'm a fan of rule of cool. I can't see myself ever using them, but why not?

It would be nice if there were a Mod Suggestions subforum. Seems to me this idea would be great for that. If lots of people use that mod, then it would be a good candidate for adding to the base game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I'm a fan of rule of cool. I can't see myself ever using them, but why not?

It would be nice if there were a Mod Suggestions subforum. Seems to me this idea would be great for that. If lots of people use that mod, then it would be a good candidate for adding to the base game. 

Thanks for the feedback! :)
I definitely agree, I know nothing of modding or else I'd maybe try making this into a mod myself, but a mod suggestions topic would be really cool for more general suggestions such as this.

20 hours ago, Malnaur said:

At least we might find spools of woolen yarn among the forgotten chests in ruins since there were presumably ordinary sheep before the rot?

This is actually a really cool idea, I love it when this game incentivises exploring ruins!

On 3/11/2024 at 4:29 AM, Malnaur said:

I just found a woolen shirt which has the same thermal as a regular shirt. This is silly. Woolen pants have +1 thermal over regular pants, as they should.

I also have always thought it strange that the woolen set is not warmer than other clothes. Hopefully one day it gets something like a +0.5 or +1 degree buff.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.