Does anyone know how bears spawn?

This is the second time a grizzly bear has suddenly appeared near my house and killed all my chickens and now I want to know. After the first time it happened I put a massive wall around my camp and it still happened, I have no idea where the bear came from. I'm curious and a little mad.

It goes by the worldgen parameters for the region. Brown bears spawn down to something absurdly low, like 0.1 forest or something like that. If you walk through a grassy plain, not a tree, not a bush in sight, it probably qualifies as 0.1 forest. If a bear has ever spawned in the area, yeah, that's bear country, and I'm not sure it matters what you do with that block. You can probably pave every tile and it can still spawn bears. Now in 1.19, brown bears live in much colder climes, so it's easier to be south of where they spawn.

Walls don't work very well -- I think they have to be 3-4 high, but I think they obey a single fence. However, they have a substantial reach "through" that fence. Leave a 1-wide gap between your outer fence and your inner fence and you should be good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.