Support Class: Monk

LadyWYT

Now I do think the game has a good mix of classes already, but one thing I noticed is that there is no definite support class. Before I get too far into the details though, one thing I should note is that some of the specifics regarding damage types are covered in this thread here:

Likewise, I went with more of a "Friar Tuck" angle with this class, rather than the fantasy versions found elsewhere. Also keep in mind all numerical values listed here are hypothetical; I balanced them as best as I could but there's probably room for improvement.

The Traits

Pacifist: You deal 20% more blunt weapon damage, but move 20% slower when wearing two or more pieces of tier 3+ armor.

Nearsighted: You deal 15% less ranged damage.

Pilgrim: You move 15% faster on roads.

Healer: You heal 50% more with healing items.

Merciful: Exclusively craftable First Aid Kit, which can be used to heal others instead of yourself.

------

Why Monk? Because Friar Tuck is a cool character, and monks were prevalent during the Middle Ages. Additionally, monks fit into the "common folk" theme that all the playable classes currently share.

Why Pacifist? As a general rule, it was frowned upon for monks to partake in bloodshed. However, the roads are still dangerous, and something is needed for self-defense. Thus, a preference for blunt weapons develops as a result, as these weapons are much less likely to draw blood when used in combat.

Overall, I expect the Monk to play as a durable melee class that is able to keep allies alive and fighting. The reasoning behind the armor disadvantage is to try to encourage the Monk to avoid a direct fight if possible, as they aren't meant to soak up a ton of damage(that's the Blackguard's job, after all!) The class will likely be strongest in multiplayer scenarios, where the Monk will have allies to do most of the fighting for them(allowing the Monk to focus on keeping said allies alive, while helping deal some damage as well). In a singleplayer scenario, the Monk's bonus healing should help cover the higher incoming damage due to the armor penalty, though the Monk could also opt to wear a full set of high tier armor in some cases and just deal with the movement penalty as well.

The gear I would generally expect Monks to use is a high tier piece of armor in the chest slot, with the head and legs covered by gambeson or other pieces of lower tier armor. For weapons, the club will be the preferred weapon in the early game, or the quarterstaff for longer melee reach. Later in the game, a mace/shield combination is probably the best choice, as the shield will help soak up incoming damage and mitigate some of the armor penalty. However, I could also see a warhammer being a powerful choice in the right circumstances.

The Monk is also a class that I expect to be appealing to players that like to build a lot of infrastructure, due to the movement bonus they get when traveling on roads. Of course, it could also be a more appealing pick on servers where there are already a lot of roads paved.

As for the First Aid Kit, I'm not entirely sure of the details other than it should include Alcohol Bandages as an ingredient(perhaps leather and a regular linen bandage as well?). Ideally, it heals for 10 HP baseline(which would be 15 HP for a Monk), and while it could be used by any class it's best used by Monks due to the healing bonus. My initial thoughts is that it should be an item that can only be used on another living entity in order to avoid the situation of the Monk healing themselves when they meant to heal an ally. However, it could probably also work with rightclick to heal oneself, and shift + rightclick to heal a different target instead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LadyWYT said:

My initial thoughts is that it should be an item that can only be used on another living entity in order to avoid the situation of the Monk healing themselves when they meant to heal an ally. However, it could probably also work with rightclick to heal oneself, and shift + rightclick to heal a different target instead.

I think this whole class idea is really creative and cool, but I just thought I would chip in here about the first aid kit only being usable on other players.
If someone was playing Monk in singleplayer, this would mean that their whole exclusive crafting recipe is useless.
I think the shift rightclick idea is the way to go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ifoz said:

I think this whole class idea is really creative and cool, but I just thought I would chip in here about the first aid kit only being usable on other players.
If someone was playing Monk in singleplayer, this would mean that their whole exclusive crafting recipe is useless.
I think the shift rightclick idea is the way to go.

I figured it would be usable on NPCs and animals too, no just other players, but this is a very good point. In singleplayer the kit would lose a lot of value, outside of being something to sell to traders(that probably wouldn't be worth it, considering the resources put in versus the gears acquired in exchange). The shift-clicking to change from self-target to target-other solves that issue. The only other thing I might tweak is potentially making the first aid kits not stack as high as the more basic bandages, but that would really depend on whether or not it trivializes some things too easily.

3 hours ago, Booker42 said:

Maybe also a bonus for harvesting tended corps, be that from farmland or berry bushes that have trimmed leaves.

Possibly, although I think a bonus like this would be better suited to a farmer class. I'd be more inclined to swap out Nearsighted(-15% ranged damage) and replace it with Kind(-10% animal loot, -25% carcass harvesting speed). It fits better with the theme of a peaceful monk that tries to avoid violence when possible, as well as mildly encourages the player to farm or forage for their sustenance rather than hunt.

The other thing about a bonus to harvesting berry bushes is that it ends up overshadowing the Malefactor, as it covers one of the class's strengths without having the weakness to make up for it. The Monk I would expect to play somewhat similar to Tailor, in that they'll do better in a more civilized setting with infrastructure, but will struggle a bit in the wilderness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

The other thing about a bonus to harvesting berry bushes is that it ends up overshadowing the Malefactor, as it covers one of the class's strengths without having the weakness to make up for it. The Monk I would expect to play somewhat similar to Tailor, in that they'll do better in a more civilized setting with infrastructure, but will struggle a bit in the wilderness.

That is why i thought maybe only berry bushes that had been trimmed with shears as opposed to any berry bush. This will still give the foraging boost to the Malefactor, but give flavor to the monk similar to trimming a Bonzi tree,  or zen gardens if you wanted to surround your berry bushes with sand.

I think a second class-exclusive recipe of the Quarterstaff could be good because it would play into the additional blunt-weapon damage. It was also a common weapon in the middle ages, especially for travelers.

Edited by Remorse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Remorse said:

I think a second class-exclusive recipe of the Quarterstaff could be good because it would play into the additional blunt-weapon damage. It was also a common weapon in the middle ages, especially for travelers.

I covered the Quarterstaff in the Combat Rework thread. 😀

image.thumb.png.38690b020cfdabc7b39039600b011992.png

Initially, I was thinking it could be a Monk exclusive weapon, but I wound up writing it as a generic weapon instead. I would expect a Monk to get more use out of the quarterstaff than other classes might though, especially if it had the off-hand movement bonus applied to it.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.