iron metal working question

LadyJade90

is there a mod that would allow iron to behave like most other metals? i really don't want to go through that process at all if i can help it if im being honest but at minimum id rather that process reserved for just steel and the rare limited use metals at minimum 

1 minute ago, StCatharines said:

None of which I'm aware, using bloomeries and hammering blooms is a big part of the later game. A helve hammer and windmill make it much easier.

yeah i get that's part of the intended design but it isn't fun. not for me or any of my friends. i don't want to spend hours building complex mechanisms so i can spend even more hours gathering the immense amount of resources and spend even more time crafting ultimately temporary gear. i want to explore and build and i'm not doing that if 70% of my time is spent making steel with a process more complicated than making steel in real life. i get its a draw for some but for me it hit my limit for tedious grinding and im the kind of person to happily spend days or months grinding in mmos. its unfortunate i guess because without such a solution i might just walk away from the game for now. im having fun but not being able to make any of the upper tier of gear without dedicating all of my gaming time at the expense of all other games is a no go for me. 

Perhaps a mod to remove the part of the equation you find tedious would be the ticket? There are options for that, such as Knapster, which would allow you (or the server host) to do such things as set blacksmithing to require only a single hammer blow.

For the cementation furnace, I'm not aware of any mods which would allow you to skip the process.

• Like 1

Since you mentioned MMOs, another option might be XSkills: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/247

While it doesn't treat iron and steel like other metals, exactly, it does have options to speed up manually working the iron blooms as well as making metalworking(and various other things) less tedious. The catch is that you'll have to level those skills first, which can take some time, and for some of the talents you'll need to pick a particular skill as your profession first. For the Metalworking skill, I believe that it's Blackguards and Clockmakers that get an innate boost to learning that skill faster.

I use the mod myself and enjoy it quite a lot, as it gives rewards over time and makes doing certain things less tedious after your character becomes more skilled at it. In regards to the metalworking, it still takes a fair bit of time to reach the point where I can be turning blooms into ingots every few seconds, but once I get there smithing is a lot more satisfying. I also tend to do more of my blacksmithing during the winter months, when there's fewer other things to do. Standing next to a hot forge means the cold won't be an issue, and it's a whole lot easier to keep an eye on any steel refractories I have going.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.